Finger position and trigger blade.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
darticus

Thanks Fred B

Post by darticus »

Do you know if the LP 1 has the same method of adjustment as the LP 10? I stated earlier that I thought the manual says to adjust the grip of the LP 1 to get the proper trigger angle on the LP 1. Ron
Fred Mannis

Re: Fred-Trigger lp 10

Post by Fred Mannis »

darticus wrote:My LP 10 ,right in pic, is using the same trigger as yours. Its grip looks 90 degrees to the bore, but the trigger is angled.The LP 1 is using whatever trigger the LP 1's use. The LP 1 trigger, left in pic, looks about straight or 90 degrees to the bore.The grip looks maybe at an angle. The manual I thought, says to adjust grip to get trigger to proper angle. So I thought the LP 1 didn't have the adjustments like the LP 10. A little confused. Ron
Do not go by what your grip angles look like; do not go by what your (or anybody else's) trigger angles look like. Do not accept the grip & trigger settings on the gun(s) as received. And do not assume that the settings on the LP1 and LP10 should be identical. The ones on my LP1 and LP50 are not.

Do reread FredB's (& my) note, take a deep breath, and start messing with the adjustment screws until the sight alignment is correct and the position of the finger on the trigger is correct. Do it in small steps in an orderly fashion over a period of time. BTW, this assumes that you have dremeled, sanded, and filled your grips so that they fit properly :-)

Isn't this a great sport!
Fred Mannis

Re: Thanks Fred B

Post by Fred Mannis »

darticus wrote:Do you know if the LP 1 has the same method of adjustment as the LP 10? I stated earlier that I thought the manual says to adjust the grip of the LP 1 to get the proper trigger angle on the LP 1. Ron
The two guns have the same grip adjustments.

The trigger adjustments depend on which trigger shoe you have installed. You have the original shoe, which has very limited adjustment, and you may wish to consider replacing it with the new alu shoe (Pilkington carries them).

The manual does say that 'the position of the trigger finger toward the trigger blade can be altered by adjusting the grip'. While true, I do not recommend adjusting the grip for that purpose unless you can do it without affecting the settings for proper sight alignment.
Elmas

Post by Elmas »

Some points to add regarding " finger position on the trigger " .

pulling the trigger exactly along the longitudonal axis of the pistol is only important in largebore centerfire guns with a heavy trigger pull.. any deviation from straight back will tend to affect the sight picture or, at least , make maintaining the sight picture more difficult.

As for the 500gm Airpistol trigger and the lighter one on Free Pistols, the pull if not absolutely straight back may not affect the sight picture noticeably.
I think consistency is more important , the ability to place the finger pad in exactly the same place for every shot .

If some shooter starts worring about finger position, it may distract him/her enough to affect scores .. Therefore some means of 'neutralizing' this worry should be sought .

I always remind myself to keep the distal interphalangeal joint straight and move the trigger finger by flexing the proximal joint... but this can only be done if the grip size and grip contours are right for my hand.

Nicole Hamilton

Post by Nicole Hamilton »

Elmas wrote:As for the 500gm Airpistol trigger and the lighter one on Free Pistols, the pull if not absolutely straight back may not affect the sight picture noticeably.
Uhm... Sounds like a different kind of free pistol than I'm used to. Even tiny screwups, twisting the gun by not pulling the trigger straight back, always send my shots off into the weeds.
Elmas

Post by Elmas »

Elmas wrote:
As for the 500gm Airpistol trigger and the lighter one on Free Pistols, the pull if not absolutely straight back may not affect the sight picture noticeably.

Uhm... Sounds like a different kind of free pistol than I'm used to. Even tiny screwups, twisting the gun by not pulling the trigger straight back, always send my shots off into the weeds.
One would suppose that shots go off into the weeds due to an accumulated fault... twisting the gun is affected by wrist movement and not by the almost isometric pull of the trigger finger on the light trigger .