International Centerfire techniques

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
David Levene

Re: International Centre Fire Techniques

Post by David Levene »

Alex L wrote:Also, because there are 3 seconds to shoot and 7 seconds rest, you must be able to count those 7 seconds. I count " one second, 2 seconds, 3 seconds" etc. when I get to 6 seconds I know the targets are about to appear, so there is no surprise when the targets turn.
Out of interest, why don't you just develop a breathing pattern to replace your counting. I doubt if I could do it now as I haven't shot CF for several years but when I was competing my breathing would give me the turning time extremely accurately.
Tim_T

Re: International Centre Fire Techniques

Post by Tim_T »

Getting back to the aiming point, I was at a shoot the other day and the topic of aiming point came up, and one sugestion was the bottom of the paper/target as poi was same for both targets.

Just my 2 cents
Nicole Hamilton

Post by Nicole Hamilton »

We had our first actual centerfire match tonight, so the results are in -- or at least, my results are in: It's 6 o'clock for me and I'll adjust my sights between the precision and rapid portions to make it work.

At a practice on Saturday morning, it seemed like I could do a centerhold okay. But tonight, with only artificial outdoor lighting, I simply could not make out my front sight against the black bullseye. My night vision is just flat-out not good enough.

So the first two strings were terrible -- just what you'd expect if all you can do is guess where the gun is pointed -- but after I started spinning the elevation adjustment on my sights and switching to 6 o'clock on the next 4 strings, it got much better.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Years back when I did centerfire,I shot the same six-o-clock hold throughout the match. After our dueling sighters were fired, the NRA repair target had a White Logo in the corner that corosponded with my six-o-clock hold. That helped me get the correct height for a center shot. I'm sure targets have changed since.
bubba_zenetti

Post by bubba_zenetti »

i tried the 6 hold and it does not work for me on the duel stages. the target is so huge that i feel like i am aiming for the lower barrier at the kennmore range. a 6 o clock hold. center worked best for me.
kiko

Post by kiko »

Nicole,
Please tell me that your CF matches are on Sundays at 1 pm .. also.
I'll hopefuly see you this Sunday, I'll be attending your FP with my son.

Kiko.
Nicole Hamilton

kiko wrote:Please tell me that your CF matches are on Sundays at 1 pm .. also.
Sorry, no, those are Thursdays nights at 7:00 pm and run as a league. You pay for the whole series, not individual matches. Go to the Kenmore Range website and follow the links to the pistol pages or to the match schedule or to our club calendar for more information. You can even find scores, e.g., from our CF league posted.

Look forward to meeting you and your son on Sunday. The more FP shooters the better! We'll be indoors for this match in the clubhouse, which is the first building on the right after you come in the gate.
kiko

Post by kiko »

Thanks Nicole for your prompt response,
it seems that you too work on the computer all day.... and browse on what we are passionate for.

Yeah, that is what I thought. Weekdays night eh?? too bad for me you dont take occasional shooters ( unless they pay for the whole league) bcs I was considering ( a miracle) to drop by on say Mondays night ( FP) or on your Thursdays CF.

But to start with, this Sunday FP will be good enough. Looking forward too. I need to teach my son about "patience shooting" doing the FP.

we will be shooting my semi 22lr, we have only one gun, I am not sure how you set up the match but I presume that with only about 9 shooters there will be only one heat. I am planning to shoot my 60 rounds on half the time alloted, so my son can shoot his 60 on the other half,
( and ask for a cold range to change targets), I hope not to be a nuisanse for anybody.
regards, Kiko.
Nicole Hamilton

kiko wrote:Weekdays night eh?? too bad for me you dont take occasional shooters ( unless they pay for the whole league) bcs I was considering ( a miracle) to drop by on say Mondays night ( FP) or on your Thursdays CF.
Monday night FP is definitely no problem. Those aren't a league, just an informal thing where you pay $2 each night and shoot the match. They're so informal that you score your own target, but only if you want to. There's no reporting of scores.

Thursday nights are the leagues, which rotate, depending on time of year, between SP, AP, CF/Sport and NRA BE, each league running about 8 or 10 weeks. I can't speak for the club or make promises, but it seems to me you might be able to arrange to shoot just one night as a guest without paying the entire $25 league fee. If you're here Sunday, you'll meet Vic, who runs the leagues, and will likely be shooting the FP match; you can ask him if they can offer any flexibility for out-of-town guests.
kiko

Post by kiko »

Great information Nicole,
definitively much better and more than the web site. $25.- is not that bad at all, it is about as much as I pay for our local High Power rifle matches ( one) and way less what Trap cost me. Thats why it prompts me to go way back to my roots and shoot 22lr ( Olympic) actually the kick is about the same 22lr vs shotgun or 308 rifle. I mean the satisfaction.

So, basically, something is always going on either on Mondays or Thursdays. If I go one of those days ( again a miracle) I guess I just need to bring the respective pistol, or put everything I have always in my car.

K.
Nicole Hamilton

kiko wrote:we will be shooting my semi 22lr, we have only one gun, I am not sure how you set up the match but I presume that with only about 9 shooters there will be only one heat. I am planning to shoot my 60 rounds on half the time alloted, so my son can shoot his 60 on the other half ...
I missed this on the first reading. You know, if you want, one of you is welcome to use my Pardini SP New. It's not a FP, but it is a very nice gun. You'll need to adjust the sights and change them back, but that shouldn't be a big deal. I'll bring it along in case you're interested.
kiko

Post by kiko »

Nicole,
I am kind a flattered with so much attention. Thanks... again.. for offering us your Pardini, maybe I can shoot your gun and write the clicks so to put the sights back, though I am not shooting match ammo I am afraid I may foul your barrel with my CCI Blazer (lead) rounds.

My son is a shotguner and he might need my coaching during the pistol match, I think he is not even completely familiar with the Browing Buckmark we will be bringing, much less to load it one at a time.

My objectives on this trip is to meet you guys (finally), and to have the match as a perfect excuse to hang out with my son who just started college.
As a freshman as he is he might think that FP as a totally boring sport, but I can take care of him and try to teach him one thing or two.

If it is not much of a problem I think I will prefer to stick with the sharing guns option, that way I can also watch him shoot.

thansk again Nicole, we'll see, and we will have fun.
K.

K.
Nicole Hamilton

kiko wrote:I am not shooting match ammo I am afraid I may foul your barrel with my CCI Blazer (lead) rounds.
Pardinis tend not to cycle reliably with CCI, though admittedly, in slow fire, singly loading each round, you probably wouldn't notice any problems. But still, you really shouldn't shoot high velocity ammo in a fine-quality target pistol; it beats them up unnecessarily. I shoot Federal 711B; you can buy a couple boxes of that at our office. But if you prefer to share one gun, I expect that'll be fine. You can hang targets for the two of you in adjacent lanes.
kiko

Post by kiko »

I think your 50ft range has 20 or some shooting positions, but given the size of the target, how do you hang them out. 10 shots per target? and staple 6 targets in two or three rows on the carrier. you walk up and down or are the carriers motorized.
Nicole Hamilton

On the indoor range, we set up carriers to do AP at 10m that move the targets back and forth. But for cartridge guns at 50', we have fixed hangers with nails sticking out. You just press the target onto them, hanging just one target at a time. To change them, we make the line safe, then walk down and hang new ones. Yes, I think we are putting 10 rounds in each target.