Headaches loading .38's with new Lee die set

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
James Robertson

Headaches loading .38's with new Lee die set

Post by James Robertson »

I am having some major headaches with a new .38 SPL Lee die set. I have them mounted in a Lyman T-Mag II and the crimp die is driving me nuts!

I can't get a proper crimp. The only .38 cartridge that I load is 3.0 grains 231 with a swaged 148 HBWC.

If I look closely at the crimp and turn the cartridge, the crimp (which is set miniscule) is not completely around the entire mouth of the cartridge. If I set it slightly more the die causes a raised sharp edge on the mouth of the case and there are minute brass shavings made.

This is my first Lee die, is it possible that the die may be faulty?

I also really don't like the "O" ring set up on the lock rings and would really much prefer to just have proper "lock" rings.

Anyway, if anyone could give me some advice or pointers,I would be greatly indebted to you.
Fred Mannis

Lee Crimp Die

Post by Fred Mannis »

Are all your cases trimmed to the same overall length? If not, there will be case to case variations for how much bullet is exposed as well as in the degree of crimp.

I have used Lee dies for many years and like their use of an O-ring to lock the die. I have never had a problem with a die unscrewing or losing its setting.
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

Lee is just like any other manufacturer. They don't produce a quality die each and every time. There will be the occasional defective die. I had a 45 Colt Lee sizing die that was doing WAY too much sizing. Sent it back and got one that worked perfect.

After investigating what Fred has told you, if you still have problems, either ask Lee for a replacement or buy somebody else's dies.

Best of luck to you.
Marc