Optimum amount of fluids

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Optimum amount of fluids

Post by Guest »

What is the optimal amount of alcohol to consume prior to shooting?

Post by Guest »

Do not feed the troll
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Valid question, alcohol is a depressent so I'm sure it has some effect on shooting performance. There is a difference between having alcohol and getting drunk. I maybe wrong but I've heard some Europeans (I'm sure others too) may ingest a small amount of alcohol prior to shooting. How much I don't know and I'm sure it would be dependent on the individual a glass or half glass of beer maybe.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Whilst alcohol may not be prohibited, if you were to consume it on the range or smell of it you would probably be asked to leave on safety grounds. I don't actually think it would help though as it depresses the reactions. I do rememebr one guy who used to drink a small bottle of beer in between 2 rounds of a competition but it never seemed to do him any good.

Rob.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

RobStubbs wrote:Whilst alcohol may not be prohibited, if you were to consume it on the range or smell of it you would probably be asked to leave on safety grounds. I don't actually think it would help though as it depresses the reactions. I do rememebr one guy who used to drink a small bottle of beer in between 2 rounds of a competition but it never seemed to do him any good.

Rob.
I would agree if it was a sport that involves reactions and reaction time but shooting doesn't what we are looking for is relaxation (to some extent) and focus. I'm by no means advising people to get falling down drunk, but I do think it would be interesting to know if there is a certain amount of alcohol that would be benefical, and if so maybe it should be a banned substance (if it is performance enhancing). I beleive I once heard that alcohol was used in many sports to enhance performances in the olden day (long before my time). If any one has any real knowledge about this I think it might be interesting.

I much rather have this converstation than another one about which are the best cheap pellets to use :) or how to clean oxide of my $5.00 tin of old pellets.

Why doesn't someone call them trolls when they post that question.
Spencer

For every up-side there is a down-side?

Post by Spencer »

According to an acquaintance (a well respected coach), many years ago one of the international teams was using individually measures doses of alcohol to get the up-side which lasts about 2 hours - there was a delay in starting the match and they ended up finishing the match in the down-side, with disastrous affect on their scores.

As well, ISSF rule 5.5.2.2 comes in here.

Spencer
Richard H

Re: For every up-side there is a down-side?

Post by Richard H »

Spencer wrote:According to an acquaintance (a well respected coach), many years ago one of the international teams was using individually measures doses of alcohol to get the up-side which lasts about 2 hours - there was a delay in starting the match and they ended up finishing the match in the down-side, with disastrous affect on their scores.

As well, ISSF rule 5.5.2.2 comes in here.

Spencer

How so, as I stated before we are talking about small doses not being intoxicated which unfortunately 5.5.2.2 does not actually define. So what are they actually calling intoxicated .08, .1 what? In 5.5.2.2 we aren't talking about the guy who goes out and has a beer at lunch an hour before his match.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Do not feed the troll
I'm an ogre not a troll!!!! Trolls live under bridges and eat little goats , ogres live in swamps and scare villagers. Get it right donkey!!!