32 S&W long and magnum primers

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Nev C

32 S&W long and magnum primers

Post by Nev C »

I've got a few hundred Winchester magnum small pistol primers and am wondering if they would be ok to use in my SP20 .32? I use 98gn HBWC and 1.6 gns W231. If they should not be used in the .32 how about 9mm?

Cheers

Nev C
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

My initial suggestion is not to use them in the .32. I had a bad experience using magnum primers for .38 in a revolver competion a few years ago. I was loading 148gn HBWC with a tried and true load of 2.5 gn Bullseye powder. Apparently the skirts were being stripped from the bullets and it got pretty messy. I was lucky the barrel didn't seem to be damaged, but the recoil was hot and all the multiple holes made scoring rather low in point value. The gun was a .357 and it was theorized that the skirts had been stripped in the chambers instead of the barrel. Had they been left in the barrel, damage probably would have occurred. I probably could have adjusted the powder, but I didn't pursue their use any longer.

As to the 9mm (unless HBWC), I don't see why there would be a problem, but again, the powder amount may need to be adjusted.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
http://www.airforceshooting.org/
http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

Accidentally using some Federal Magnum Small Pistol Primers----cost me two Pardini magazines ($70@)---fortunately nothing else happened with the exception of the fright as the magazines blew out of the well onto the floor.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

You'd have to reduce the load. I know people who (claim to) use 0.8grs V310 with magnum primers, on the theory that total speed variation gets smaller because the primers are more constant than these very small powder loads. Never tried it myself. Handle with care, as any loading data.
.32 Owner

Stunning!

Post by .32 Owner »

Magnum primers and an SP20 – remarkable!

On a serious note, I trust you don’t value your grip customisations and I would hazard a guess any insurance policy you may have for the kit would be voided should this information ever be known to them. When the grips fracture and the slides crack with normal factory ammunition, I would not fancy being on the same range with these proving (sic) rounds. Unlike our friend Mr. Riegl, the Pardini is a metallic frame and understandably, the damage was limited to the mags. Hope you are still with us to post a vid clip of the experiment.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Why screw around, reload using the proper components.
Nev C

Thanks everyone

Post by Nev C »

Thanks eveyone for your replies, I certainly won't use them, I was just curious as to whether they would be OK.

Cheers,

Nev C
Richard H

Re: Thanks everyone

Post by Richard H »

Nev C wrote:Thanks eveyone for your replies, I certainly won't use them, I was just curious as to whether they would be OK.

Cheers,

Nev C
Good idea not the sort of thing to screw with, for the little bit primers cost get the right ones. The last thing you need is something going wrong and injuring yourself or worst some poor bugger that decided to shot next to you while you were running a science experiment.