Benelli MP90S, Pardini, WALTHER SSP?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Gunnon

Post by Gunnon »

Hello

I am new in this forum and I have trained shooting few years.
My first pistol was MP95E, I liked but I had one problem with it, so I bought Hämmerli SP20. Grip is not very good for my hand, so I have planned to buy new pistol for standard pistol shooting.

Basically there are three different pistols Benelli, Pardini and Walther what I have to choose. I liked very much benelli, so I would like to buy MP90S, but now there are new contructions Walther SSP and Pardini SP1. I would like to get comments from shooters who are using/used MP90S and have tried other pistols. Also I would like know if there will updates coming to MP90S.

Thanks in advance.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

You might find a better response posting this in the 'pistol' section of the forum. Also have a look through the archives / i.e. search facility. As for pistols - what discipline are you most interested in - it makes a big difference to what recommendations you may get.

I would add it's cheaper to get the grip modified rather than buy a new gun ! Which will probably still need modifying.

Rob.
Nitro75

Post by Nitro75 »

Hello

I am new in this forum and I have trained shooting few years.
My first pistol was MP95E, I liked but I had one problem with it, so I bought Hämmerli SP20. Grip is not very good for my hand, so I have planned to buy new pistol for standard pistol shooting.

Basically there are three different pistols Benelli, Pardini and Walther what I have to choose. I liked very much benelli, so I would like to buy MP90S, but now there are new contructions Walther SSP and Pardini SP1. I would like to get comments from shooters who are using/used MP90S and have tried other pistols. Also I would like know if there will updates coming to MP90S.

Thanks in advance.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Personally, I think the MP90S is underrated. There are two people in my club using MP90S, so I played around with it some, .22 and .32. They are very rare here in Switzerland, as the importer is only interested in Benelli's shotguns. Internationally, I believe I've seen two prominent shooters using it it 25m pistol, and general availability may be a regional issue.

I think the Benelli may nearly be the only pistol where you can get to the barrel axis without using a grip angle of more than 120 degrees. Surprisingly (for their simple, but in parts quite ingenious construction), they seem to have some reliability issues when new out of box, but that can be resolved. They don't offer the adjustment options of a MG2, but actually that may have a good side, as you can't screw up (sorry for the pun) all that much. I wouldn't expect a major update, as far as I know there wasn't one since it came out (except the Nill Grip, if that counts for a update), and the market is probably too small to invest in such a project. Benelli's designer, Civolani, actually built the Fiocchi (no, not the Pardini-Fiocchi) pistol some years after the MP90 came out, which was kind of a predecessor (or distant cousin) to the Bonora designed Morini CM22/Peters Stahl PS600/RBA PS600. As that one didn't really lift of, they may have binned their plans for some years.

I never really hit it off with the MP90, although the .32 is pretty good, but don't ask me why. Other people find it excellent, I've rarely heard a really negative opinion. Recoil management is very good, though; sights could be better. Trigger is not bad in a certain range (and way better than the 95E), but doesn't offer the options of the other pistols; same goes for the balance. Grip is top, but still not adjustable in any angle. I would prefer it to the Pardini because of the grip angle, as the Pardini IMHO doesn't really work in my 118-120 degree range, or my personal grip. On most other points it's give and take a few, but one notices the updates done on the Pardini and the wider options its trigger/balance/sights offer. As for the SSP, read up on that thread, I'm not going to repeat it all :-)
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I have an MP90S, which shoots very well. The only problem I've ever had with it is a busted firing pin after about 5K rounds. However, they can't be easily dry-fired like a Pardini. I've tended to steer away from Walthers because they don't tend to support their older pistols very well. If they change the design, they expect everyone to go out & buy a new pistol if their old one breaks.

My wife shoots a Pardini, and I really like the design. I will probably be getting one this year. I'd avoid the electronic trigger model.

They all have subtle differences in grip, balance & sights, and a lot will depend on what suits you best. "Try before you buy" if at all possible. The good news is that they have a lot of adjustability, so minor tweaks can frequently be accomodated.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Gwhite wrote:My wife shoots a Pardini, and I really like the design. I will probably be getting one this year. I'd avoid the electronic trigger model.
Purely out of interest, any reason for avoiding the electronic.

I know that there were reliability and battery life issues with the early ones but have not heard of any problems with modules produced in the last 12-18 months. Common sense battery housekeeping seems to be adviseable but other than that ................?