taller front sight for Morini free pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
shootfast

taller front sight for Morini free pistol

Post by shootfast »

I started out in bullseye so shooting center mass hold works best for me. I shot a free pistol match this weekend and was bottom out on my rear sight. I shot ok for not touching the thing since April. My concern is in different light conditions i might run out of sight up or down. I know Morini makes wider front sights, but do they make taller ones. Any feedback would be much appreciated. THANKS AND SHOOTFAST
J.H.

Post by J.H. »

I've never come across one. I have about 5 different Morini sights but they are all the same height. It would make more sense to machine a spacer or shim to go between the sight bock and the sight holder to lift its overall height. If the shim is over a certain thickness you may have to counter-sink it and possibly even get a slightly longer screw, but it uses a standard metric thread so it shouldn't be a problem.
J.H.

Post by J.H. »

Actually (duh!) there is no need to countersink the spacer as the sight itself is already countersunk. My mistake...
Fred

Post by Fred »

I have been through this also, and agree with J.H., but have something to add.

J.H. is correct that there are no higher fronts for the Morini FP - at least available in the US. It is quite easy to make a thin shim for the existing front out of sheet brass or even plastic, without having to do anything more than hand work on it. You might want to keep the shim thin enough so that the sight still is held on its sides by the cut-out in the front sight holder, to prevent the sight from rotating. A thicker shim would probably require machining work, as J.H. suggested.

However, I found that on my Morini FP the downward travel of the rear sight was blocked by the grip well before it ever reached the stop within the sight itself. This can easily be checked by lowering the sight as far as it will go, and then removing the grip. If the sight will then go further down, it's just a matter of a little grip relief work in the right place.

HTH,
FredB