Center hold? 6 o'clock? or sub 6? Your thoughts!

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
darticus

Center hold? 6 o'clock? or sub 6? Your thoughts!

Post by darticus »

Been shooting center hold but would like to experiment with other methods.Any suggestions of what to try and maybe a reason.THANKS!

Post by Guest »

Hi there,

This has been discussed a gazillion times before on the board. Do some key word searches on "center hold" and "sub six" and variations on this and you should come across plenty of postings.
I and most others I know shoot sub-six (i.e. aiming into the white below the bottom of the black) as it makes it easier to get an unconscious release and your sights stand out well against the white background.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Darticus

One of the best threads on this is one that you started:-

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=11623

Well worth re-reading.
Richard H

Re: Center hold? 6 o'clock? or sub 6? Your thoughts!

Post by Richard H »

darticus wrote:Been shooting center hold but would like to experiment with other methods.Any suggestions of what to try and maybe a reason.THANKS!
Try it, it won't hurt you, if you find you don't like it you can always go back. What works for one may not be the best for another.
darticus

TRIED IT! ???????????????????

Post by darticus »

Not sure if there is a get used to period. It seemed like it worked out the same as working with the center hold. Gonna work with the sub 6 a bit more. The 6 oclock seemed fine, when I lined up under the 7 ring I had something positive to look at and not just floating in the black as in center hold. With the sub 6 just needed to leave some white between the black and my sight. Seems like below the 6 ring is good. Now trying to keep that sight picture steady. I guess just practice than practice!
David Levene

Re: TRIED IT! ???????????????????

Post by David Levene »

darticus wrote:Now trying to keep that sight picture steady.
Don't fight the movement, provided that the sights are locked together. Accept the movement, that is the basis of area aiming.

darticus wrote:I guess just practice than practice!
An increase in overall physical fitness can have a dramatic effect on reducing the amount of wobble. Please note the use of the word "overall". I am not talking about body-building.
darticus

Sub six- hummmmmm

Post by darticus »

Worked with sub six today.Maybe beginners luck but did suprisingly well using it. Got to do more work with it! Just feeling ,its unnatural, as I'm not pointing at what I want to hit as in center hold. My dumb mine says you must point at the hit point or its not right. More work to do!
Sub sixers what you think?
Richard H

Re: TRIED IT! ???????????????????

Post by Richard H »

darticus wrote:Not sure if there is a get used to period. It seemed like it worked out the same as working with the center hold. Gonna work with the sub 6 a bit more. The 6 oclock seemed fine, when I lined up under the 7 ring I had something positive to look at and not just floating in the black as in center hold. With the sub 6 just needed to leave some white between the black and my sight. Seems like below the 6 ring is good. Now trying to keep that sight picture steady. I guess just practice than practice!
Yes there is, a few things can happen with any change:

1. Your scores could go down because it takes you a while to get use to the change and become consistant with the change.

2. Your scores could go up immediatley and stay there

3. You scores could go up then come back down. This is called the Hawthorne effect. The change itself no matter what it is causes a response (this came about by changing lighting levels a an automotive plant, and measuring productivity, no matter what they did raise of lower lightly as long as there was a change productivity went up.

4. Nothing happens

If you are going to make major changes do them in a part of your season when you have time to actually use them for a while. Sometimes you'll know right away if something works but sometimes it my take a few months or more.
darticus

Sub 6-Looking Good

Post by darticus »

Still surprised at doing better using the sub 6.shot for one year with center hold but sub 6 looks better.Maybe this is the ticket! Ron