front sight question

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
bubba_zenetti

front sight question

Post by bubba_zenetti »

should the front sight be the same width as your target when viewed or should it be smaller? what do you guys use and why?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

The obvious answer is "it depends what you prefer".

I prefer to use a an apparent foresight which is narrower that the black. I find it helps with the concept of area aiming. A wider sight, for example the same as the apparent width of the black, can lead to being over-critical of sight-target alignment.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

A different perspective - I find that a narrow front sight, say half the apparent width of the bull, makes my wobble more noticeable than a front sight that is about the same width as the bull.
streamdreams

Post by streamdreams »

As i understand it the wider for sight is normaly advised particularly to beginner as it is easier to focus on and thus help keep the focus off the target.

However for my $0.2 having a wide foresite means the now you are not only trying to keep the forsite and rear sight aligned but also the left and right edges of the fore sighe aligned with the target. whit a narower sight it imediatly become clear when we are not centered.

However rather that starting with the width of the fore sight, i believe we need to start with our eye sight. Many of us have near perfect vision but not perfect and get by and a daily basis without glasses. so the first step would be to get shoting glasses / frames that ensure our isight is perfect 20/20 even if we not need the to read,drive,watch tv etc. Note that many pistol shots add an adition 0.25 or 0.5 to their preasciption the help with fore sight focus. personaly I use a +0.25

once we have got our vission at its best I then believe the fore sight shouls be as narow as comfortable with out adding strain. ( tired eye dont shoot well)

All my $0.02 but it the formular i am using. I shoul say that this is for general shouting and i am in not doubt that specialties like 50M free pistol have direrent requirements.

best regads
streamdreams

Post by streamdreams »

Incidently morini and stayer seem to differ in their approach;

Morini 162ei offer a 5.0 mm foresight as standard with 4.0, 4.5, 5,5 & 6.0 mm as options

Steyr offer a 4.5 mm foresight as standard with 2.5 3.0 4.0 5.0 mm as options