Whats the best practice for trigger pull and follow through?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
darticus

Whats the best practice for trigger pull and follow through?

Post by darticus »

Would this be dry firing or is there another method?
MSC

Post by MSC »

I think it's a simple YES.

Dry-firing will get you acclimated to the feel of the trigger.

And by watching your front sight (for movement) you'll be improving your smoothness of pull and follow-through.

If follow-through is an issue, I'd suggest an exagerated hold for an extra second or two after the release.
Cuervo79

Post by Cuervo79 »

well what worked for me was shooting about 1000 shots to blank targets, not only did I get better at focusing the sights but my trigger pull got better also. Another tip is to squeeze fluidly and all along while you're moving the pistol to the bullseye, no sudden pulls nor slow then fast to compensate. I noticed If I do this the trigger control goes all over the place, while If the pull is fluent the sights barely move... (still need more practice on it though)
Also where you put the trigger finger also helps on the whole trigger control. for me is putting the finger at the top of the trigger. but I would think it changes from person to person.
bubba_zenetti

Post by bubba_zenetti »

dry fire practice helps so much. i do it as often as possible. it is really amazing to see what your front sight is doing when you pull back on the trigger. with practice, you can get it to the point of near zero movment.

one thing i like to do when shooting is dry firing the empty chamber after 5 rounds. my slide does not lock open on the gsp. after 5 rounds i go ahead and dry fire the last one and sometimes catch myself anticipating the shot and i can see the sight dip ever so slightly. that is a habit i need to break even though the movement is so tiny, it is still there.