Feinwerkbau CA cylinders storage .... on or off pistol ?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
iow

Feinwerkbau CA cylinders storage .... on or off pistol ?

Post by iow »

Hi ,
I have a couple of Feinwerkbau CA pistols. I'm not currently using them as frequently as i normally do , as the temperature in my garage and screen room where i normally shoot here in south florida is 100 degrees + right now.
I'm going to put an ac unit in the garage , but until i do , i have a question i need answering !
Both pistols have fully charged cylinders , and does it do any harm to the pistols' seals by keeping the cylinders attached ? , or is is best , or necessary to keep the cylinders off of the pistols whilst they're not being used too much ?
Using my common sense , I have been keeping them detached , just to be on the safe side , but i'm just curious.
Len
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

yes keep them detached, or at lest unscrewed enough to bleed of the air out fo the gun. Otherwise you prematurely aged the seals in the regulator
iow

Post by iow »

Thanks.
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Does the same go for a Morini?
I ran a line on this when I first joined and was told no need to detatch the cylinder.
Has anything changed or did I get dodgy advice a couple of years ago?

Post by Guest »

Colin,
I'll take a punt that the answer to your question will be a deafening silence.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Having in the last week been through the exercise of stripping and servicing five cylinders...

The cyinders that had been on the pistol (and the rifle) has no sign of problems.

The 'spare' cylinders (i.e. stored off the firearm) audibly leaked when filled - subsequent examination revealed all three had some rust marks on the valve ball.

Is there a message here?

Spencer
pilkguns in Kansas

Post by pilkguns in Kansas »

Teh recommend procedure has always been to remove the cylinders to depressurize the reg. It's simple mechanics nothing more, if you are pushing against something all the time, sooner or later it weakens. In our case, its springs and rubber o-rings.

As to Spencers dilemna, I can't say for sure, but a rust producing condition, moisture on steel, is as likely to happen on the gun as off, depending on the humidity of where it was last detached, and or stored.
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Spencer,
You can solve the rust problems by quitting the muggy polluted air of Sydney and moving south of the border. None of us have rusty balls!!!We Mexicans aren't all that bad and we have some great pistol clubs, not to mention Aussie Rules clubs.
:-)