Replacement sights for a S&W Model 14 for Centrefire

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
CROB

Replacement sights for a S&W Model 14 for Centrefire

Post by CROB »

I have a S&W K38 which I use for ISSF centrefire. Without getting into a debate about whether I should use a 32 semi-auto, I want to update the sights.

What I would really like is a set of sights like my FWB AW93 .22. In particular an adjustable rear sight gap, and non-screwdriver adjustable elevation and windage. I often adjust my gap depending on the light and/or my eyes (need more gap if I'm tired).

I can get a gunsmith to make me a front sight (something at least 3.8mm wide), but is there anything off the shelf for the rear sight?

Thanks.
Fred

Post by Fred »

I doubt if there is any rear sight made specifically for the K38 that meets all your requirements. It's an American gun, which don't usually (never?) have adjustable gaps, and it's hard to imagine a European manufacturer making any replacement sight for a (discontinued) S&W model. If there is such a thing, I would love to have one also!

However, it is possible to buy the new Pardini rear sight plate, which includes an adjustable gap mechanism. If you could figure out how to mount the plate to your existing S&W sight, you could get the gap adjustment, but would still not have non-screwdriver elevation and windage adjustments. I've heard of people using the Millett replacement rear sight, and I believe Weigand may make one also. But still you'll need to carry a screwdriver (they're not all that heavy ;-)).

HTH,
FredB
David M

Post by David M »

The replacement sight is a Millet with a .380 Target rear blade. It can be milled or filed wider (and deeper if required).
The foresight is changed to a undercut partridge sight (1/8 wide will fit the factory groove).
If a wider sight is needed it can be machined with a step on the base to fit the factory groove.
Also the sight is made slightly higher, but off the top of my head I cannot recall how much.
Lee Jr

Post by Lee Jr »

I've got a Millet rear sight on my model 16, and while it's better than the stock blade, it's still not that great. I would definitely recommend the Weigand sight: http://www.jackweigand.com/smith_wesson_rear_blade.html. I haven't tried one yet, but it looks pretty good and the price is certainly reasonable.

Lee
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

I put a Morini rear sight on my Manurhin. That still needs a screwdriver, but gives me a perfect sight picture and adjustability.
JamesH

S+W Sights

Post by JamesH »

Alan Westlake used to manufacture something along those lines, but not adjustable width.

Try him thru
http://www.sportsmansassociation.org.uk ... embers.htm

Otherwise I just picked up a Millet. SK00002 0.312. Assuming its pre-'74 the front hole needs to be drilled to suit the gun.

Not yet sure if the height is right, it was the recommended one. Will let you know once its sighted in for precision and duel
CROB

Post by CROB »

Thanks for all the feedback.

The Weigand sight looks like a good fallback position, but still not an adjustable gap.

Tycho said:
I put a Morini rear sight on my Manurhin.
Do you have a photo of that? The rear sight on a S&W seems easy to replace, if I machined somthing to fit the rib maybe I could do the same?

CROB
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

OK, let's see how good these pictures are. I'm not the world's best photographer, obviously...

We used a Manurhin spare part for the mount, so I still have the original. Mechanically it wasn't a problem, we just had to check it twice to comply with the 220mm rule. Haven't seen it done elsewhere, though.

Work was done by Viktor Odermatt, one of the top ISSF pistol gunsmiths here in Switzerland. Used to work with Cesare Morini, and is an absolute magician on the FAS 607.
Attachments
Please notice the cutout for the hammer. Didn't hurt the sight, though.
Please notice the cutout for the hammer. Didn't hurt the sight, though.
Rear.jpg (45.42 KiB) Viewed 1913 times
Top.jpg
Top.jpg (48.35 KiB) Viewed 1913 times
Right Side.jpg
CROB

Post by CROB »

OK, let's see how good these pictures are. I'm not the world's best photographer, obviously...
Well I'm not complaining - as they say a picture tells a thousand words!

I'm going to see a gunsmith on the weekend and show him what you have done - exactly what I want. Switzerland is a bit far from Australia. But now I have an example of what I want it should be easier.

OK I still have to carry a screwdriver but I never really expected not to...!

Thanks Tycho.