Manurhin revolver for target shooting?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
X10

Manurhin revolver for target shooting?

Post by X10 »

Does anyone use a Manurhin revolver for target shooting?

How does it compare to at tuned up S&W revolver?

And is .32 better (or worse) than .38

I’ve heard of quality problems with Manurhins. But then I’ve heard that that was only a short period around 1998.

And finally should one go for a “sport” in .38/357 or a “target” in .38 sp or in .32? (Rumour has it that they are super accurate in any configuration)

Thank you
David M

Post by David M »

I have two Manurhins, both Match's in .38. One is about 20yrs old the other is only a couple of months old, the quality on both is very good.

They are better than a K Smith in sights and the fact that the trigger rebound block is screw adjustable, the match also has provision for barrel weights. Also these are in current production, the Smiths are no.

I have had a .32 Manurhin Match in the past but found the .38 to be a better choice, it is easier to reload for very accurate loads.

The old one has now seen 3 Commonwealth games and 2 World Champs with many other competition wins.
The new one is being built up and modified (double action work) for the World Association 1500 PPC match.

Maybe Smith should bring back the K-38/K-32 Masterpiece, until then you won't go wrong with a Manurhin Match.
X10

Post by X10 »

Thank you David.

Any experience with the sport version i.e. the .38/357 magnum version? Does it perform as well as the mach version?

Both models come with SA/DA trigger.

Thank you
David M

Post by David M »

I have not played with the .357 , only the Match.
The Match is single action only from the factory, but fitting the double action hammer is easy and a smoothing trigger job is very easy also.
Lee Jr

Post by Lee Jr »

I have a Match 32. I love it! The quality and accuracy are suberb. The sights and trigger are great, especially compared to a S&W. Having said that, the S&W K38/K32 are great shooting guns with a lot of potential. I have a model 14 with an Aristocrat rib and a newer model 16 that I'm playing around with. The model 14s are still pretty cheap and plentiful so you certainly wouldn't go wrong with one of those especially if you could find one of the later ones with the full underlug barrel.

Lee
X10

Post by X10 »

I’m not a reloader.

So if I have to buy ammo what is best for me? .32 or .38?

Price and performance.

Thank you again
Lee Jr

Post by Lee Jr »

X10,

Where are you located? If you live in the U.S., I'd say there's no question that 38 spl wadcutter ammo will be cheaper and just as accurate if not more so than 32. For example, Federal 38 Spl WC Gold Medal Match goes for $19.50/50 or $375 per case, while Lapua 32 S&W LWC goes for $28/50 (no case price listed) at Champion's Choice. In my experience, Federal 38 WC works great thru a K38. I've also had good luck with other brands including commercial reloads at substantial savings (take a look at Midway USA's website). 32 revolvers (and semi-autos) seem to me to be a bit more brand sensitive accuracy-wise and your choices for other brands here in the US are severely limited. If you live in Europe the opposite might be true.

Lee
X10

Post by X10 »

Thank you Lee Jr.

I live in Denmark. And there is a lot more .38 ammo around at an affordable price than .32.

If you are willing to pay you can get pretty much what you want around here. But if .32 is not “inherently” more accurate than .38 I see no reason to go the .32 route.
Lee Jr

Post by Lee Jr »

As mentioned before, I have a Manurhin 32 match that I use for the CF match, and I previously used a S&W model 14 38 spl. I've also been playing with a newer S&W model 16 32 mag to see if I could get it to shoot 32 S&W LWC with acceptable accuracy:
I shot these targets earlier today with it indoors at 50 ft. (They were the only targets I shot; 10 slow and 15 duel.) The Duel targets were shot duel style...the low hits on the precision target are on the shooter...anyway I'm pretty pleased with the results. The loads were some I picked up at a small gun auction a couple of years ago...the bullets are Speer 98 gr .314 dia HBWC. The powder looks to be 2 gr of HP38. (My normal handload is a Hornady 90 gr swaged HBWC with 1.8 gr HP38.) The pistol has been modified with Millet sights, a new old stock S&W single action trigger kit, and Morini grips. Trigger is still too heavy but crisp. Here's what it looks like next to the Manurhin:
YMMV....Lee