Wei Pang pistol brand?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Nano

Wei Pang pistol brand?

Post by Nano »

What brand is the pistol of Wei Pang on the photo?

Thank you,

Nano

http://www.issf.tv/default.aspx?view=ph ... 99&index=1

Wei Pang (CHN) won the first final of the 10m Air Rifle Men event at the 49th ISSF World Championship 2006 in Zagreb.

He have only 20 years.

I think China will win all the shooting events in 2008 Olympics.
Visitor

Wei Pang pistol brand?

Post by Visitor »

It looks like a LP-10 with a blue air cylinder.
RobStubbs

Re: Wei Pang pistol brand?

Post by RobStubbs »

Nano wrote:What brand is the pistol of Wei Pang on the photo?

Wei Pang (CHN) won the first final of the 10m Air Rifle Men event at the 49th ISSF World Championship 2006 in Zagreb.

He have only 20 years.

I think China will win all the shooting events in 2008 Olympics.
He did bloody well to win the air rifle event with an air pistol ! ;-)

I can't really tell if it's an LP10 or a morini - the picture doesn't have good enough resolution for me.

As for China winning all shooting events in 2008, I don't think so. They can only enter 2 athletes per event as they have done in other olympics and there's where form on the day comes into play. They will undoubtedly win a fair few medals though in the shooting.

Rob.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

LP10 with blue cylinder, definitely. Quite strange that nearly all Chinese seem to use Steyr AP's when at the same time Morini claims to ship theirs by the hundreds to China...
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Tycho wrote:LP10 with blue cylinder, definitely. Quite strange that nearly all Chinese seem to use Steyr AP's when at the same time Morini claims to ship theirs by the hundreds to China...
They probably do but remember there are literally thousands of full time shooters in china and Steyr probably ship even more.
And didn't Xifu Wang <sp?> win gold in the olympics with an LP1 ?

Rob.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

He did. Zongliang Tan is using a LP10, too. And I very much doubt that shooting is broadly based national pastime in China, not to mention the fact that it would probably be very hard for most people there to afford a top level AP, even IF the could buy one one a "free" market... or does anyone believe that the russian world champions of the last 50 years rose out of a huge mass of hobby shooters?
Fred

Post by Fred »

Tycho wrote: Zongliang Tan is using a LP10, too.
In the photo of Zongliang Tan on the cover of the latest ISSF News, he appears to be holding a Steyr LP-1, that has an LP-10 barrel and shroud. Very interesting and appealing combination!

FredB
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Fred wrote:
Tycho wrote: Zongliang Tan is using a LP10, too.
In the photo of Zongliang Tan on the cover of the latest ISSF News, he appears to be holding a Steyr LP-1, that has an LP-10 barrel and shroud. Very interesting and appealing combination!

FredB
Why is the LP10 barrel and shroud more appealing than the LP1 barrel and shroud?
Fred

Post by Fred »

Fred Mannis wrote:Why is the LP10 barrel and shroud more appealing than the LP1 barrel and shroud?

Because the LP-10 barrel (and mating shroud) has tiny vent holes that are very effective in calming muzzle movement, and the LP-1 barrel does not have them. I have shot both the LP-1 and the LP-10 quite a bit, as well as a CPM-1 with similar vents, and IMHO the vented barrels work great. However I don't particularly like the piston compensator on the LP-10, and many shooters agree that the LP-10 trigger is not quite as good as the LP-1 trigger. Thus, again IMHO, Tan's combo gun is a great idea.

YMMV,
FredB

Post by Guest »

Always a lot of talk what gun the champs are using. What I find more intresting is the grips they are using. For instance the Thai shooter

Air pistol:
http://www.issf.tv/media/foto/2006/571/ ... _AP602.jpg

Free pistol:
http://www.issf.tv/media/foto/2006/571/ ... 08_FP4.jpg

How do you guys modify your grips to get desireble support?

Post by Guest »

I have shot both the LP-1 and the LP-10 quite a bit, as well as a CPM-1 with similar vents, and IMHO the vented barrels work great. However I don't particularly like the piston compensator on the LP-10,
I think that you will find that the reason the LP10 is nicer to shoot than the LP1 is because of the "piston compensator".
Axel

Post by Axel »

Anonymous wrote:Always a lot of talk what gun the champs are using. What I find more intresting is the grips they are using. For instance the Thai shooter

Air pistol:
http://www.issf.tv/media/foto/2006/571/ ... _AP602.jpg

Free pistol:
http://www.issf.tv/media/foto/2006/571/ ... 08_FP4.jpg

How do you guys modify your grips to get desireble support?
I agree!

Anyone know what grip brand Jakkrit is using on his morini free pistol? It's covering his whole thumb. Looks neat! :-)
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Fred wrote:Because the LP-10 barrel (and mating shroud) has tiny vent holes that are very effective in calming muzzle movement, and the LP-1 barrel does not have them. I have shot both the LP-1 and the LP-10 quite a bit, as well as a CPM-1 with similar vents, and IMHO the vented barrels work great.
Are the LP1 and LP10 barrel/shroud interchangeable? That is, without having to modify the LP1 frame.

As far as calming muzzle movement goes, I think I would prefer no venting. When I shoot a 10 the muzzle (sight) is rock steady. If the muzzle moves, I know it's me. I have to admit, howver, that I have never shot an LP10, so I may be missing out on a good thing :-)
Fred

Post by Fred »

Anonymous wrote:I think that you will find that the reason the LP10 is nicer to shoot than the LP1 is because of the "piston compensator".

That may be true for you, but it's not true for me. My LP-1 came equipped for CO2 originally. I really liked it: no muzzle flip and a gentle straight-back pulse when fired. When the compressed air conversions came out, I switched the gun to CA ("everyone" said how much better CA was). However, the firing behavior was so unpleasant with CA that I eventually switched it back to CO2. I'm making a long story short here; I tried many different solutions to the problem.

The CA LP-10 shoots with no muzzle flip, but it has a kind of "dead" feel - no pulse, due to the piston compensator. And the trigger just doesn't feel as good as the LP-1 trigger. If I had to choose between the CO2 LP-1 and the CA LP-10 I would take the LP-1 every time, because, for me, it's "nicer to shoot". But an LP-10 barrel on an LP-1 frame would, in theory, give the same feel as the CO2 LP-1, but with the (supposed) advantage of CA.

There you have it: more than you ever wanted to hear about the topic. In future I'm going to be very careful about making off-hand comments of this type;-)

FredB
Fred

Post by Fred »

Fred Mannis wrote:Are the LP1 and LP10 barrel/shroud interchangeable? That is, without having to modify the LP1 frame.

As far as calming muzzle movement goes, I think I would prefer no venting. When I shoot a 10 the muzzle (sight) is rock steady. If the muzzle moves, I know it's me. I have to admit, howver, that I have never shot an LP10, so I may be missing out on a good thing :-)
FredM,

I don't know if they are easily interchangeable. Probably Scott would know.

I'm curious, though, whether you have a CO2 or CA LP-1? If CO2 I understand why you like it, but if CA I wonder why my CA LP-1 conversion didn't work out (see the above message).

Regards,
FredB
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Fred wrote:I'm curious, though, whether you have a CO2 or CA LP-1? If CO2 I understand why you like it, but if CA I wonder why my CA LP-1 conversion didn't work out (see the above message).
I bought my LP-1 used as a CO2 gun and promptly converted it because I was setup for CA, but not for CO2. I'm really puzzled why the LP-1 should feel so different with the two propellants. Can you be more specific about the 'unpleasant'? I understand what you mean by 'the pulse', since I have an LP-50 and it does feel 'dead' compared to the LP-1.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Axel wrote:Anyone know what grip brand Jakkrit is using on his morini free pistol? It's covering his whole thumb. Looks neat! :-)
And the grip on his AP looks like it is almost back to his wrist!
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Axel wrote:Anyone know what grip brand Jakkrit is using on his morini free pistol? It's covering his whole thumb. Looks neat! :-)
It's almost certainly a heavily customised 'normal' grip. You can do exactly the same to any FP grip - if you know what you're doing and you've got a lot of morini grip compound (or similar).

Looking at the AP grip that does look phenominally dropped wrist and looks to extend some way back. I would have thought that style of grip would have been worse for AP trigger control, but it obviously works for him.

Rob.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Fred Mannis wrote:I bought my LP-1 used as a CO2 gun and promptly converted it because I was setup for CA, but not for CO2. I'm really puzzled why the LP-1 should feel so different with the two propellants. Can you be more specific about the 'unpleasant'? I understand what you mean by 'the pulse', since I have an LP-50 and it does feel 'dead' compared to the LP-1.
My CO2 LP-1 shot as I described above. When I did the CA conversion it had a very harsh firing behavior (hard to describe more precisely) with a lot of muzzle flip. I tried different muzzle weights, different velocities and various mods to the compensator, but nothing helped. When I switched back to CO2 the unpleasantness disappeared, so I don't think it was caused by my poor technique. If yours did not do the same thing when you converted, then there must be something about my gun that doesn't like CA, although I can't imagine what. Since I don't travel with it much, I'm fine with using CO2, but it is a mystery.

FredB
Axel

Post by Axel »

RobStubbs wrote:
It's almost certainly a heavily customised 'normal' grip. You can do exactly the same to any FP grip - if you know what you're doing and you've got a lot of morini grip compound (or similar).

Rob.
Do you really think the thumb cover is all built with morini putty? Hmm, why not...

http://www.issf.tv/?view=photodetail&cs ... 3&index=11

http://www.issf.tv/?view=photodetail&cs ... 89&index=5

http://www.issf.tv/?view=photodetail&cs ... 61&index=4

/axel