Aiming technique - Classical vs. Dynamic

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Ro

Aiming technique - Classical vs. Dynamic

Post by Ro »

I recently found a short article about two different aiming techniques (always thought there is only one), ie classical aiming and dynamic aiming. There were also traces from a SCATT to show the difference , but it seems to me that the only difference is the time spent in the aiming area. With the classical technique its from 4 seconds up and with the dynamic technique its 3 at the most. Can someone tell me where I miss the point?

Robert
ShuffleUpAndDeal

Post by ShuffleUpAndDeal »

Ron,

(quotes from www.scatt.com)

1) "The Classical technique is when the shooter comes into the centre of his aiming area and holds four or more seconds before the shot release. "

2) "The Dynamic Aiming technique is when a shooter comes into the centre of his aiming area slowly and releases the shot within 1-3 seconds. It was also noticed that with the Dynamic Aiming Technique there were a few different ways to come into the centre of the aiming area, but shot release was always 1-2 seconds"

I take the Classical technique as holding in the aiming area for quite a while until the shoot is "surprising" released.

Unlike the "Dynamic technique" where the shooter moves very slowly to the "aim area" and more or less force the trigger.

What do you think?

//Fredrik
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I would suggest the dynamic method involves a slowing down of the descent and increasing trigger pressure at the same time. Trigger release should still be a smooth process but I believe the pressure increase starts either immediately 'on aim' or even on the final bit of descent.

Rob.
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

To be a little more clear on the dynamic method, it involves developing a consistent move into the aiming area and a consitent trigger operation, and then marrying the two such that they both complete as you hit the aiming area. Here's an example from a thread in the shooters lounge:
Let's use a shooting example to illustrate a method of dynamic shooting. After I suggested this exercise a couple years ago, I heard it had been tried by a top shooter several years prior to that, with some success in training, but not in competition. Perhaps due to the added anxiety? The exercise would develop thusly:

- Train for a deliberate raise taking exactly X milliseconds to reach and stop in the aiming area.

- Train for a deliberate trigger operation that takes Y milliseconds to complete.

- Assuming X is greater than Y (training should be accomplished to make this true), start the raise.

- At X - Y, start the trigger.

The biggest obstacle to this method is the hard fact that it will only work with 100% confidence and a truly consistent raise and triggering. If any doubt arises, it will throw off the timing and coincidence will not be at center.
Take Care,
Ed Hall
http://www.airforceshooting.org/
http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/
Ro

Post by Ro »

Rob,

if I understand you correctly then when you follow the classical method your sights float in the aiming area for one, two or even three seconds until you start to increase the pressure on the trigger. Whats the reason for waiting so long? Or is it that with the classical method you reach the aiming area without perfect sight alignment and therefore must correct that first whicht takes some time?

Best regards
Ro
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Ro wrote: Whats the reason for waiting so long?
The reason is lack of confidence that the sights will arrive aligned in the hold area at a time certain. If you check to determine whether it is true, then you have missed the first 10 and need to wait for the next 'opportunity'. See the extensive discussion Ed Hall initiated in shooters lounge http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=13662
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Ro wrote:Rob,

if I understand you correctly then when you follow the classical method your sights float in the aiming area for one, two or even three seconds until you start to increase the pressure on the trigger. Whats the reason for waiting so long? Or is it that with the classical method you reach the aiming area without perfect sight alignment and therefore must correct that first whicht takes some time?

Best regards
Ro
I think Fred sums it up in the post above. I don't actually shoot like that, my shooting is more like the dynamic in that I start increasing pressure almost immediately and release in 2 or 3 seconds at a guess.

Rob.
Houngan

Post by Houngan »

I made a fairly important breakthrough when I started to make sure I was mentally ready to shoot before entering the aiming area. Previously I would lose my first hold prepping my mind to shoot. After I started taking up the slack, and riding on the edge of the trigger, my scores jumped quite a bit by being able to shoot my first good hold. The dynamic approach seems to be an extension of this, although it takes a lot of the observation and choice out of the equation.

H.