What Airpistol do you shoot?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
James

What Airpistol do you shoot?

Post by James »

What pistols have you shot, and why do you shoot the one you shoot?

I shoot a Benelli kite. It's light, cheaper, has nill grips, and Nestruev shoots one.

Post by Guest »

ive only shot 4 models. fwb 65,100,103 and steyr lp-1p

now i am using the fwb 103. reason being its the only one available to me. comparable to the styer unless you factor in the cocking.
jackh

Post by jackh »

Mine is the Hammerli 480K2
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

162EI because it is accurate, reliable, available, within my price range and feels right for me. I cannot think of any other valid reasons (but that doesn't mean that there aren't any).

For the Rule 8.20 events I use a Steyr LP5 but would be happy using an LP50. IMHO no other 5 shot air pistol that I have tried is in the same country, let alone in the same league.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

My reasons are exactly like David's except that I shoot an LP10, and LP5 for 5-shot. Grip adjustment was an extra consideration for me hence one of the reasons the morini was ruled out. I know it's a popular gun on the world class circuit but that didn't influence my choice - it might do if I was buying a gun for them to shoot but I'm not ;-)

Rob.
william

Post by william »

Mark me down for the Benelli Kite - perfect balance/weight (for me) and Nill grip. Formerly owned CM162ei, Izh46, Matchguns MG1, Pardini K2s.
bubba_zenetti

Post by bubba_zenetti »

i have a rohm twinmaster match and a walther lp300.

i bought my twinmaster because i was new to air pistols and did not want to spend a whole lot on one. its a great starter pistol for a precharged design, but it lacks a quality trigger. its good but not great.

i purchased a used walther lp300 from a forum member hoping to find a better trigger and a low bore line. i did get that. i shoot my walther more than the twinmaster. i really like the adjustability on the grip as my natural point has the barrel pointing to the left so i just give it a twist to teh right and all is good again. i really like the adjustability on the sights and trigger on this unit. it is a heavier pistol unlike my twinmaster. i like the weight of it more.

unfortunately, there are no retail stores where you can walk in an handle the pistol before you buy it. i am sure i will find some things i do not like about my walther and when i do i will probably plunk down the money on something else hoping to fill in the missing gap.
Scott H.

Post by Scott H. »

Don Nygord told me: "You can't have too many air pistols." And, he was right! I've come to believe that they are the summit of the pistolsmith's art. Trigger, grip, balance, accuracy, workmanship,....They're the best.

For matches, I've been using an FWB P40. The recoil reduction system seems to work the best of any I've tried.

Steyr LP10P: Sold mine, because it's great feel, trigger, and results, were a distraction from practicing with the P40. But, still, a great gun. To be honest, I check our host's Used list daily, just in case one shows up.

Pardini K2s: When my kids get to college, and I have to sell everything, this will probably be the one that I keep. Not as sophisticated as the Steyr or FWB, but has an excellent trigger, and gets the job done.

SAM K11 / K15: Very forgiving guns. Easy to shoot well. Sold the K11, but kept the K15. Excellent mechanical trigger. I know this is all subjective, but, the best mechanixal trigger, IMHO.

Morini 162EI: Took pity on a shooting buddy who was struggling with an ancient Model 2 CO2 gun, and sold him my Morini. With the "e" trigger, holding on target while the shot breaks is as easy as it gets.

Pumpers: FWB Model 100 and Pardini K58: If you don't mind pumping between shots, either one is capable of fine accuracy. The FWB feels a little heavier than the Pardini. Excellent workmanship.

I decided that I needed to concentrate on one gun, if I was going to improve, and chose the FWB P40. My scores have improved. But, they are all fine guns. There are more sophistocated, and skilled, shooters on this board, certainly, who may disagree, but, any problems I've had with the above list have been my fault, and not the gun's.

cheers!
David Levene

Re: What Airpistol do you shoot?

Post by David Levene »

James wrote:I shoot a Benelli kite. It's light, cheaper, has nill grips, and Nestruev shoots one.
That's strange, it looks remarkably like a Steyr in the picture of him last week at the World Championships

Never mind though, just because he isn't currently shooting a Kite in major matches doesn't make it a bad gun.
James

Post by James »

Actually I dont think he uses one anymore. But if it's good enough for him to use, its good enough for me! Actually in some interviews he dosnt care much about what he shoots, but he seems to favor the lp10.

Post by Guest »

I used to shoot a Steyr LP1, then changed to an LP2. When I graduate from my high school and move on to the college, I'll have to relinquish the LP2 and use the FWB 103.

Opinions needed: Is the FWB103 on par with an LP2? Personal experience tells me that the LP2 is way better than the FWB 103, and judging from past results from my seniors who have shot both guns, they seem to do better with the LP2. Is there any significant difference? Or is it just in my head?
James

Post by James »

I think the fwb may be a little more difficult to shoot becasue you have to pump it every shot, and its heavier.
Otherwise the rest is in the shooter not the gun :)
How do the lp2 and lp1 compare?
I shot an lp2, and I kinda like the way it feels. Real crisp, my kite is smoother

Post by Guest »

yes a change from 103 to any of the lp series will see an immediate increase in scores. not sure exectly what happens the other way round but i predict that all your flaws will be clearly visible when you do that.

i tend to believe that the current top of the line guns are more forgiving on bad triggering or grip/hold which seems to be amplified by more basic guns such as the fwb 103 100 esp 65.

weight isnt the only factor here the weight distribution is. remember that lp2 is more "balanced" than even the lp10 so that might help with holds but personally i prefer a front heavy gun so as to reduce muzzle kick(btw i shoot 103 so there is no stablizer.)
iow

Post by iow »

Feinwerkbau P34 ....... incredible FWB precision engineering , comfortable , and super- accurate too.

Len
cdf

Post by cdf »

A Styer LP10 , an LP50 , and a Morini short . Depends on my mood , guess I can't make up my mind . They are all great . I'm with Don Nygord on this issue , these are truly the peak of the gunmakers art .

Chris
dam8

Post by dam8 »

Started with an izzy 46. Now I shoot a Steyr lp1, and Morini 162 ea. I love em both, some days i shoot the Steyr better, some days the Morini. Who knows. I also agree with the late great, can't have too many air pistols.
Bill177

Haven't found a favorite yet

Post by Bill177 »

I started with the Izzy, then a TAU-7, followed by a Pardini K60. The K60 fit like a glove, but was always a little nose heavy.

Eventually I bought a K2 from Don. I like the gun and have both long and short cylinders for it. It is a shooter and I like the ability to change the feel by changing from one cylinder to another.

I also bought another Izzy and really did a job on the grips. For the dollar, that gun is amazing. Nose heavy? Yes. But, it is a fun gun to shoot and all you need is a tin of pellets for an afternoon's time of shooting enjoyment.

By the way - if you already have an Izzy, don't sell it. You'll only be wanting another one. So just keep the one you have.

In the future, I see an LP2. I lean towards the Steyr products, but particularly like the means of pellet seating used on that model. It eliminates the fiddling around of getting the pellet seated - it is done for you as you close the chamber. Perhaps an arguable point, but I feel the consistency of pellet seating is a good idea. The Pardini guns also seat the pellets.

Will I sell the K2 when I get the LP2? Nah - I don't dislike the gun. I just want to add an LP2 to the stable.
n a no

my pistol

Post by n a no »

My first pistol was an izzy 46M, I sell to buy a FWB P30, I sell to buy a FWB P40.
I know I have one of the best pistol in the market, but many times I miss the P30, because dont have the "absorver" sistem to feel the shots, have tree holes in the barrel to reduce the flip of the muzzle, and cost the half price.
My trainer say to me "the best pistols are the last maked before the absorvers was invented", he likes the old´s LP1 more than the LP10, I dont know if it is wright.

Nano
VladB

Re: What Airpistol do you shoot?

Post by VladB »

I was a 3-position and 10M rifle shooter until I got a 10M pistol bug. I still shoot 3-position and 10M rifle but have been concentrating more on 10M pistol and Free Pistol.

I've shot (in no particular order): FWB 65 (pre-Mk1, Mk1, Mk2), FWB 80, FWB 90, FWB 100, Hammerli Master, Diana Model 10, Pardini K58, Aeron Brno B96, Izh-46, Walther LP2, Walther LP3, Walther LPM1, Walther LP200, Morini 162E, Morini 162EA, Steyr LP1P.

While I still have most of the pistols mentioned and shoot them on a regular basis, they are mostly collector's pieces. As for serious competition, I shoot a Steyr LP1P and have my Morini 162E as a back up (not like it needs a back up). To me, Steyr LP1P is a perfect tool, while Morini is an art piece. I liked as somebody compared Steyr to a Mercedess and Morini to a Ferrari. I get about the same score with either (93-94%).
James wrote:What pistols have you shot, and why do you shoot the one you shoot?

I shoot a Benelli kite. It's light, cheaper, has nill grips, and Nestruev shoots one.
Fred

Re: my pistol

Post by Fred »

n a no wrote: many times I miss the P30, because dont have the "absorver" sistem to feel the shots, have tree holes in the barrel to reduce the flip of the muzzle, and cost the half price.
My trainer say to me "the best pistols are the last maked before the absorvers was invented", he likes the old´s LP1 more than the LP10, I dont know if it is wright.Nano

The Chinese AP medalist on the cover of the latest ISSF News appears to have a Steyr LP-1, but it has an LP-10 barrel and shroud. The best of all??

FredB