Difference in Eley ammo

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Greg

Difference in Eley ammo

Post by Greg »

I was wondering if there is any difference in the rifle and pistol ammos from Eley. I am currently useing Eley Match EPS for rifle through my MG2 .22 pistol. Is this a fine match for the gun or should I really be looking for The pistol ammo? Have had lots of trouble using SK through this gun and have now swapped to Eley to see if feeding problems improve. Thanks for any help.
R.M.

Post by R.M. »

In my MG2 I have been mostly using Wolf, which is SK in a different box. The Eley Target Pistol (Yellow box) works well also. I haven't had the gun long enough to do any bench or ransom rest testing, but certainly plan on it.

Hope this helps
R.M.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

I was told that the only diffrence between SK pistol match and sk match is the powder burn rate. This may be true of Eley ammo as well. I have found slight differences in POI (velocity?) between Eley SV and Eley pistol (yellow box) in my guns (Pardini and IZH).
GOVTMODEL

Re: Difference in Eley ammo

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Greg wrote:I was wondering if there is any difference in the rifle and pistol ammos from Eley.
There are actually only two production lines at Eley. Match EPS is off-spec TENEX, as is Pistol Match.

Club is the top of the black line, everything else is off-spec Club (farther and farther off as the price goes down:-)

Richard
william

Post by william »

I don't know whether this is true of Eley, but RWS "pistol" is slightly hotter than "rifle" or unmarked. This is to improve reliability in semiautos which can fail to feed / eject with too-soft ammo.
shadow

RWS

Post by shadow »

A few years back I used to shoot RWS pistol - can't remember the exact name. They switched to "Target Rifle". I called RWS in Closter, NJ and they told me that Target Rifle was identical to the previous "pistol" ammo. I use R50 or R100 for 50 yard pistol shooting. It performed the best in Ransom rest testing - so well I framed the test target!
ShuffleUpAndDeal

Post by ShuffleUpAndDeal »

My experience using Eley is both good and bad. Sometimes I hear shooters reports hiss bang, which ends up with a low 1 or 2 score ring.

I also seen this with the more expensive "Eley pistol match" ammo.

The other day I was testing in the Chronograph Eley Target, SK Standard, CCI (old) and CCI (new). In my Morini free pistol I got the best results with SK Standard, showing 326, 326, 329, 327, 331, 326, 328, 326 on the display. I will do more resaerch and also put the gun in vise.

Anyway, what is your experience shooting Eley in the Benelli standard pistol?

//Fredrik
Bruce Martindale

Post by Bruce Martindale »

For the SK users, there is a difference between the Standard + (or the less expensive Wolf -I never remember the proper designation, match target I think) and the pistol match.

Std + or Wolf chrono's at 1020 fps with about 12 SD and PM at 1093 +/- 3 SD.

PM special is supposed to be the same as PM but with more recoil to snap over harder sprung automatics.

I dont know about the rifle match.

Richard sure knows what he is talking about on the Eley !

Also Aguilla SE 40 grain std velo hangs around 1063 but won't typically function a S&W 41.