Best Loads for .38 WC 148gr

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
stratego

Best Loads for .38 WC 148gr

Post by stratego »

Hi,

Anyone care to share thougths on .38 WC reloading?
I just started reloading this cal. and I've came up with a fine 3.8gr VV N340 load (148gr bullet). It grants me the 10 ring (25 mt.) with my 6'' Manurhin revolver. Should I use the same load on a S&W M52-2 Pistol?

And what about the VV N310? Does it pay or the N340 is better? I crimp the least I can.

Your replies are surely welcome.

Greetings from Portugal, Europe,
Stratego
diopter

Post by diopter »

Fortitudo Dei

Re: Best Loads for .38 WC 148gr

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

stratego wrote:
Should I use the same load on a S&W M52-2 Pistol?
If possible, alway try and use a solid base wadcutter in your S&W M52. There are a lot of M52's with bulged barrels due to hollow-base wadcutters seperating in the barrel.
James Hurr

Post by James Hurr »

N310 does not generally seem to be recommended for 0.38.
The charge would be small so double or triple charges would be possible, and it would be inconsistent.
A less dense slower powder is a better bet.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

I totally agree with James' comment-
however, 2.7 gr of VV310 behind 148gr HBW works a charm in my Model 14 - BUT (!) then I load these with a single stage press and 'eyeball' the rack of charged cases before proceding to seat the projectiles.

As an aside, I am having real problems with coated projectiles (flash coating of tin) - I have (the last few days) learned that a heavy crimp is not recommended with plated projectiles as it can 'skin' the projectile. Goes a long way to explaining the leading problems I am having for the first time in 30 years of reloading for pistol.

Spencer
rolexrifleman

Post by rolexrifleman »

I have had nothing but good luck with 2.7gr of GreenDot behind a 148gr Hornady HBWC out of my 52.
rogerv

m52

Post by rogerv »

My Model 52 was kind of fussy about what I loaded in it. I ended up using the Speer HBWC with 3.2grains of 700X. This is a slightly hot load, but shot very well in every gun I tried it in.

For the M52 I loaded the bullet flush with the case mouth, but in revolvers I used the crimping groove. I like a roll crimp. I think it feeds better.

I never had a problem with hollow base blow through or knew anyone that did, but don't load them hot.

Because the HBWC is so long, they sometimes don't stabilize at low velocity (a frequent problem with the .32).
Alex L

Best Loads for a .38...

Post by Alex L »

Hi, Spencer,
Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your load.
I was given some .32 projectiles (West coast) similar to yours. I am not sure if they were teflon coated, or what the coating was, but I found that they were not very accurate in the Walther.

However, regarding a .38 - for a single action K14 I would use WST powder with 2.5gr which most people I know find is more accurate. Also - Don't seat the projectile right down in the case. Leave about 1mm sticking out, and slightly crimp it.

I am sure this could help a bit. The Winchester 310 powder could be showing it's age.

Good luck. Let me know how you go.

Regards, Alex L.
stratego

Post by stratego »

Hi,

I thank you all for your input on the 38. WC for the S&W 52. Today I wnto to the range and did some testing with several loads using a Manurhin Match revolver and the S&W 52 pistol.
Based on the VV Online Loading Manual I used N340 loads between 3.6 and 3.9 gr, and N310 loads between 2.4 and 2.6.

Facing this I've reached the following results:
Both guns shoot better with 3.8-3.9gr vv N340. Except for the groupings the revolver reacted weel to all loads as long as we reset the sighting. Hoewver the pistol showed a different reaction as it didn't cicled well auntill it got to 3.8gr.

The same applies to the N310. In fact I feel N340 is a more suitable powder for the job. Nevertheless I'm tempted to try the N310 as the shots are smoother alowing a «better follow trough». However this time I'll raise the load up to 2.7 or 2.8gr. to see where it gets.

Regards,
stratego
CROB

Post by CROB »

However this time I'll raise the load up to 2.7 or 2.8gr. to see where it gets.
Have you had a chance to try the heavier loads? I'm curious. I found in my Model 14, that when I went to 2.7gn of N310 I started to get some leading using swaged 148gn HBWC. But in a Model 52-2 they grouped a little better.

For the revolver I seated the bullet about 1mm out of the case (30.0mm overall length), but for the M52, I had to seat flush or they jammed in the magazine.

I use Taipan HBWC which has a slightly thicker skirt than most and I've never had a skirt seperation, but given all the warnings I'm a little nervious using a HBWC in a M52.

Please post any findings if you have them.

Post by Guest »

At the risk of dating myself, 2.7 gr. of Bullseye is still an excellent load. It is a classic for a reason. It is one of those rare loads that is at least very good regardless of the firearm in which it is used. It is not finicky regarding brass, primers or bullets (hbwc, dewc, cast vs. swaged...)
There is an excellent article on reloading fo the M 52 by Gil Hebard in his Pistol Shooting book.
sillymike

Post by sillymike »

For what it's worth, I've had good result in my 52 using 3.1gr of Winchester 231 or 3.7gr of HP38 (a bit dirty)... Bullet are seated flush to the case with a good crimp.

Michel.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Whenever I get them out (which isn't all that much, but they are fun), I use 2.4grs Bullseye in my Manurhin MR38 and my Hammerli 240. Excellent groups, excellent function, nice recoil.
rogerv

.38 wc

Post by rogerv »

Sillymike, that's interesting. I was under the impression that 231 and HP38 were different lots of the same powder marketed by different companies.
diopter

W231 VS HP38

Post by diopter »

I have heard the same thing.
But most powder burn charts do list them with differrent burn rates.

http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html

http://www.reloadersnest.com/burnrates.asp

http://home.hiwaay.net/~stargate/powder/powder.htm

http://home.hiwaay.net/~stargate/powder/powder.htm

Note how on one of these the order is even reversed between these trwo powders.
sillymike

Post by sillymike »

rogerv,

The load with HP38 should be slightly faster then the 231 load... I haven't had the chance to put them thru a chrony yet... Something to do this winterwhile testing the loads in a Ranson rest.