Barrel weights for Morini cm84e FP

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jigmeb

Barrel weights for Morini cm84e FP

Post by jigmeb »

Hi,
Can anyone tell me if the barrel weights for the morini FP work for balancing the gun or do they just add more weight to it, in the case of wanting to shift the weight to the back instead of having a muzzle heavy pistol? Also what is the best balance for a FP having the COG near the trigger, at the muzzle end or at the back?

Thank you,

jigmeb.
Ernie Rodriguez

Weights-CM84e

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

Most of the available weights for this pistol are made to make the pistol muzzle heavy to some degree.Pistol balance is somewhat personal preference. Most target shooters prefer slightly heavier muzzle balance-the thinking,I believe,is that it dampens front sight movements.IMHO of course.Ernie
stratego

Post by stratego »

Hi,

Putting weight on the pistol and better balancing it is not necessarely the same. Most people uses the weights to balance the gun than to increase its overall weight. If you want to improve the balance on your Morini FP you can pull back the muzzle break.

On the other hand if you just want to add more weight on the pistol you must surely be a very strong person to care for it.

Unlike the air pistol I think Morini doesn't make barrel wights for the CM84 FP. However they have a longer muzzle break that puts a lot of weight on the pistol end. In Portugal (where I'm from) from the 3 shooters who bought this muzzle break only one of them uses it - João Costa, present 1st place in FP ISSF world ranking. The spread word is that it adds so much weight on the pistol that it makes it too hard to point during the entire match. Besides, if you choose this option you may end changing the sight and even the grip settings as the pistol tend to fall downwards, and properly setting a FP at 50 mts. is not the same than doing it on a 25 mt. pistol...

Greetings,
Stratego
jigmeb

Post by jigmeb »

Hi,
Thank you for the input, it seems no one likes the barrel weights for that pistol, I have only seen one shooter that uses it on his morini but he likes really heavy pistol.
Another question is can the compensator be moved back in further so that the muzzle end doesnt get that heavy or does it have a set position?

Thanks again,

jigmeb
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

jigmeb wrote: Another question is can the compensator be moved back in further so that the muzzle end doesnt get that heavy or does it have a set position?
The Morini compensators (both the old and the new version) are in a fixed position - otherwise their effectiveness would be compromised. The position of the front sight can be changed though.
I have seen someone fit a new (i.e. long) compensator onto a shorter barrel made from a cut-down .22 rifle barrel. It is a relatively easy process to change barrels and the shorter one brings the weight back towards the hand.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

To answer your original question jigmeb, the Morini barrel weight will allow for adjustment of both total pistol mass as well as centre of gravity. Unfortunately it will only allow the centre of gravity to be moved further forward - it does not allow for the weights to hang toward the rear to produce a less muzzle-heavy pistol.

You've also asked about compensators so I'll throw in a comment on that topic. I've done some testing with a variety of compensators and have determined they effectively have no effect on accuracy when fired from a machine rest. They may have some effect on how the gun recoils in your hand, which is the whole reason for their existance. I've experimented with comp's made of composite materials as well as traditional aluminum. In the end I found the only way to reduce the nose-heavy tendancy of the pistol was to reduce the amount of weight out on the nose. I no longer use the compensator for this reason.
jigmeb

Post by jigmeb »

Mr. Briggs:
Hi, what if you can get a compensator for the morini fp that weighs the same as the sight holder the pistol comes with would that be good or not, also what do you think about the cog where is the optimal point, middle, a little more to the muzzle end or does it depend on the persons preference?

Thank you,

Jigmeb.