Time between 10 meter pistol shots?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
darticus

Time between 10 meter pistol shots?

Post by darticus »

I normally just shoot and reload and shoot.Each 10 shot target only takes about 4-5 mins.Am I rushing? Should there be a time delay?
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Shoot when you are ready to shoot a ten. No sooner, no later.

4-5 minutes is way over on the "Faster" side of average. 13-15 minutes would be way over on the "slower" side of average. For a ten shot string, not including time for breaks.

For reference, I can cycle one attempt about every 45 seconds. That works out to be about 10 holes in the target every 10 minutes. Yes, I put the gun down when it doesn't look right. About twice per ten shots.

Out of that 45 seconds, very roughly:

- 10 seconds clearing mind/focusing
- 10 seconds visualizing shot
- 10 seconds lofting and settling
- 10 seconds releasing shot and following through
- 5 seconds putting gun down and recovering

Your Mileage Will Vary

Steve Swartz
darticus

Thanks again Steve

Post by darticus »

You always explain the correct way.Very good.Thanks for the time.Ron
Ted

Post by Ted »

Darticus,
I would add to the above that try to experiment with differnt times to see what you are most compfortable shooting with. You normally shoot a 10 shot string in about 4-5 minutes. Try shooting a 10 shot string in 8-10 minutes for a while ( I typically give myself about four weeks when trying something different like this) and see if this makes any difference and you still feel comfortable with it. I coach a high school team and see almost on a yearly basis a shooter who does the 'reload and shoot'. Usually teling them to slow down helps them improve but, I occassionally see a shooter who does better shooting quicker. Sometimes changing something is the only way to find out what really works best for you.
darticus

quick shot Ted

Post by darticus »

I sometimes shoot more quickly and find to do better.The 4-5 minute 10 shot is my normal shooting but somestimes I shoot the shots off at 3-4 second from pointing the gun.Sometimes I do very good doing this as I don't hold the gun at a sight picture too long, 7 to 10 seconds, and loose the sight picture.This, in my head, is not correct as I think I'm just shooting fast, but it seams to work. I get a shocked that I hit the 9 or 10.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

The quick routine works well in the right frame of mind. What Steve does is put his mind into the right state in the first 20 seconds - i.e. gets into the right mental routine. The problem with just shooting fast is that you have no routine to occupy your mind so it will at times fill up with cotton wool and you have no practiced drill to unblock it.

There's nothing wrong with releasing shots in 3 or 4 seconds, or sooner, as long as you are scoring good scores doing so. Just don't get hung up on the time, let the shots go when it feels right and abort when it doesn't.

Rob.