Use of timer during matches

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
elliott

Use of timer during matches

Post by elliott »

Paging Ed Hall and Steve Swartz, paging Ed Hall and Steve Swartz:
Is there a "proper" or "useful" place for a count-down timer in free pistol?
Other than keeping track of when the total shooting period ends, is there any benefit to watching the timer and releasing a shot in a specific chosen amount of time? Here in the Bay Area, we have no computer target systems like at Ft. Benning, so we shoot 7 x 17 minute periods (1 x sighters with unlimited shots and six periods of 10 shots of record) giving us 119 minutes for sighters and record shots. Very close to the 2- hour official time. Every shooter I've seen is done with the 10 shots in plenty of time, usually less than 12 minutes. So, if a shooter knows that his natural rhythm will allow him to get off the requisite shots in the time limit, is there any point to having a timer where he can see it? Is it counter-productive to release a shot say every 60 seconds when one raises, aims and fires in the first 10 seconds and then watches the clock for the next 50 seconds, biding his time before firing again counter-productive? Or should one just shoot at one' naturally comfortable rhythm and fire when ready, rather than waiting a specific interval?
Elliott

Re: Use of timer during matches

Post by Guest »

elliott wrote: Or should one just shoot at one' naturally comfortable rhythm and fire when ready, rather than waiting a specific interval?
Elliott
YES!!
David M

Post by David M »

In Australia if Free is shot on paper targets, we use two targets (one above the other). The top target is the scoring target for each 10 shot series, the lower is the sighting target.
The first series is 30 min with unlimited sighters and 10 scoring shots, each series after that is 18 min (with sighters if any), total shooting time 2 hours.
No sighters after the first scoring shot of each series. Change top target at the end of each series.
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

I agree with guest.

Focus all the attention you have available on executing your shot plan and forget the timer. It's only use is to make sure you get all ten off in the required time. It's likely to be counterproductive if used to time individual shots.

By the way, a question for all you rules mavens out there. I seem to remember that free pistol rules allow you to fire more than 10 shots on one target in the event you run out of time on the preceding target. I think I also remember that you can do this twice during the match. Can anyone confirm this for me??

I believe that some shooters use this rule to wait out bad weather conditions like high wind.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

F. Paul in Denver wrote: By the way, a question for all you rules mavens out there. I seem to remember that free pistol rules allow you to fire more than 10 shots on one target in the event you run out of time on the preceding target. I think I also remember that you can do this twice during the match. Can anyone confirm this for me??
You are probably thinking about 8.6.6.2.1.2.1 (10m & 50m paper targets only):-

"If a shooter fires more shots at one of his match targets than are provided for in the program of the event, he must not be penalized for the first two (2) shots. For the third and all succeeding such misplaced shots he must be penalized by a deduction of two (2) points for each one in the event from the series in which the occurrence happens. He must also fire a fewer number of shots at the remaining targets so that the number of shots does not exceed that provided for in the program."
Last edited by David Levene on Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Elliott:

Agree with all previous. Others may disagree. This is one of those "what works best for you" issues. In that spirit I offer the following:

1) Timer is useful information from an aggregate match management perspective, in two ways. First, you shouldn't need to look at it- UNLESS something "bad" happens and you are "running late." The timer helps because (I have found) when things go bad the timer always tells me I actually have way more time than I thought I did. Having a timer prevents the panic that might set in if you don't really know how much time you have but know you are running late . . .

2) Timer is useful information from an aggregate match management perspective in another less important way. Focus on your shot plan and releasing/aborting shots when you are ready! That is certainly most important. But, in training, monitor how many attempts per elapsed time is a "typical" rythm for you. My typical rythm (YMMV) is around one cycle per 45 seconds or so. Compare this to how much time is allotted per cycle- in Air Pistol, I break it up into 10 shots per 15 minutes. Now I have a time management metric to help me manage tempo and breaks. As long as I am putting rounds down range at a rate of about 10 per 15 minutes, I take breaks that consume time so that I stay "on track." I also know that if I am in a struggle and time is running out, I can comfortably deliver about one attempt per minute. The shot value of scores fired after the end of record time is, after all, 0 . . .

3) Timer is a harmful distraction for managing individual shots. Except for shooting finals. See reason #1 above. If I didn't have a timer in finals, I would be more reluctant to PTFGD and take another attempt. With a timer, I can see that I have plenty of time and don't need to rush the shot. However, I never-ever look at the timer *during* a shot attempt. Or even between individual attempts except in finals.

HTH

Steve Swartz
PETE S

Post by PETE S »

I suspect this is one of those things where one must learn what is critical to preformance. Time betwee shots or the time it takes for you to shoot a match is not really critical so long as you meet the time requirements. At the Nationals, I have seen a fair number of shooters with ten shoots and ten minutes left.

I keep a timer to the side and look at it once in a while. In FP, you have 120 minutes for 60 shoots plus sighters (maybe 10 to 20?). I roughly dive the match in 15 minute segments. If I notice by the end of the first ten record shoots that I have used more than the first two fifteen minute intervals, I might shorten the breaks. At the end of thirty record shots, I might glance again. Then towards the end of the match.

But I do not change the pattern off my shots or shot procedure. Maybe the time between shoots a little.

The mind can only handle so much, it should be your shot process.
Lanning R. Hochhauser

Timer

Post by Lanning R. Hochhauser »

I use a time and loosely refer to it. I use it to make myself slow down and not rush my shots. Once you develop a rhythm you hardly need refer to it.