pelican or storm

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jjjjjjjjjj

pelican or storm

Post by jjjjjjjjjj »

which one is better for the BEST protection.
R.M.

Post by R.M. »

My wife has the pelican, and I have a Storm. We think that the Storm is better, only because the Pelican latches can be a brute to operate.
As far as protection goes, I think they're both about the same. Others might disagree.

Hope this helps.
R.M.
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

Pelican cases are a fair degree heavier compared to the same size of Storm case. This means it may have some protection advantage over the Storm but unless you are going into a war-zone or some other insanely rough environment I think this is largely irrelevant. If anything, the lighter weight of the Storm makes them easier to carry and is an advantage if travelling by air. Once you get to the sort of protection level that either of these two cases will offer, I think how the pistols are fitted into the case becomes more important than the difference between the cases themselves. I'm not a huge fan of soft open cell foams ("sponge" types - like those used in cut-and-pluck inserts) which can quickly get dirty and tatty when used for guns. The guns also tend to move about much more and so they have to be well separated. I prefer closed-cell expanded polyethylene rigid foams which is what some European pistol manufacturer’s use for their own cases. The main type I have used is Ethafoam (a trademark of The Dow Chemical Company). It comes in a variety of colors, but black is probably best. You buy it as a sheet or block and cut it to size with a craft-knife. Thinner sheets can be glued together with hot glue to form a block which you can then cut. Ethafoam is also relatively inert which is why it is commonly used by museums to make supports and enclosures for artefacts and rare books.
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

jjjj,

I have only owned the Storm and have been extremely pleased with how rugged it is. Even the airline baggage people have failed to destroy it in two trips. The telescoping handle, latches, hinges and wheels function well even after some fairly substantial use.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

If you're looking for a basic case, not one with wheels and a telescoping handle, then the Doskocil cases are pretty hard to beat for value. I have the biggest one in their 'pistol' series of cases, and it's flown a lot of miles, as well as having been dragged to the range every week and driven to every other match I've attended in the past few years. And to date, other than a couple of light scuff marks and a bit of dirt, you wouldn't know that it's not very near to being new. Mine's configured to hold a CM84 & TOZ free pistol, a CM162 air pistol, and a couple of rapid fire guns, as well as my spotting scope, tripod, tool kit, spare air cylinder, filling adapter, and spare mags for the .22's. And it cost almost $75 less than the Pelican I was looking at on the same shopping trip. The Doskocil came home with me because the Pelican was more money, and slightly smaller. That's one decision I've never regretted making.
BOBAK

Pistol Case

Post by BOBAK »

I feel that pelican is the best of the two, however, Americase is the best overall case for looks and durability.