About Air pistol models..

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Cuervo79

About Air pistol models..

Post by Cuervo79 »

I´ve been looking for reviews on other kinds (besides the Steyr and Morini, since I´ve read some threads here to inform myself with) of AP like the FWB P40. I also know there are other brands like Pardini (wich I´ve seen some on the range) I´ve been on google for a while now and find very scant objective information (I am not looking for publicity or "brochure" information from a seller) and reviews about other brands and models.

Most of the information I´ve found it here in the forum threads, the features of both the LP10 and the 162 E, and the bad trigger from the walther lp 300.

The reason I am looking for this information is to know the pros and cons with different models and brands for a future desition in buying an AP

THanx.
GaryBF

About Air Pistol Models

Post by GaryBF »

You have touched on a real sore point with me, which is the scarcity of information, both objective and sales oriented, on these very sophisticated and high priced air pistols. In the last year and a half I have purchased two air pistols, a Baikal IZH-46M and an Anschutz LP@Junior. Both were bought sight unseen by mail order and my purchasing decision was based on whatever meager information I could find on the internet. I am very disappointed that our value added resellers can get by with providing so little information. It is rare to come up with a factory sales brochure. Most web sites provide a few technical specs and a stock photograph and that's all. Your best bet is to do what you did and ask for help. There is a lot of information on this forum, however, it is not easy to find. I wish you luck in your quest although I am doubtful that you will have much success.
cdf

Post by cdf »

FWIW the fwb p40 is a fine pistol with an excellent trigger , I have seen/handled a few Pardini AP's , I like their SSP , regretably they aren't sold very agressivley in Canada . The examples I have seen had nice triggers . I would guess that support / parts would be a big issue for you , in your location . The better AP's dont seem to need much other than seals every two years or so .

Chris
Cuervo79

Post by Cuervo79 »

CDF: well talking of seals, can it be replaced by me or do you have to send it back? There IS a problem here with service and parts, since most of it isn't sold here.
Interesting point. So it would be better to go for a Steyr or a morini, since it would be easier to find parts or send it for service?
Kev D.

Post by Kev D. »

From my experience, Pardini have exceptional service when dealing direct with the factory.
cdf

Post by cdf »

I'm guessing you will be getting parts out of the states or europe , you may well find guys at your club who are capable of helping you install the parts . At a guess sending a gun out of the country for repair would be a problem . Might be an idea to ask around locally , you might find quite a bit of talent .

BTW , you are doing the same thing most north Americans are doing - buying site unseen over the internet .

The Anchutz LP@ is a line you should look at - well proven action with a bit of a different interpretation .

The Pardini line will serve you well , I think I would avoid used Hammerli's as support may be in doubt after the sale of the company .

The Walther LP300 might be an option , would 300 bar air fills be a problem ? Put another way , is available SCUBA gear Eurpean of American . You could always pump it to 200 bar by hand . The gun has a lot of adjustment in the grip area . There are so few around that its hard to tell if the bad trigger stories are truth or urban ledgend .

Why are you tending to shy away from Styer or Morini , is this due to budget or are you simply exploring other options ?

Chris
Cuervo79

Post by Cuervo79 »

LOL not shying away in any way I like the LP10 (I've seen the silver ones and fell in love, though I haven't been able to look and touch one), but its always healthy to look at everything that's out there.

Also I'm very visualy oriented and I hate the natural color of most of the handles (even if that's the norm) makes the pistols in my eyes look old. So even it its a little rash the handle of the P40 looked fresh. Although after reading the opinions of the steyr and the morini, I took a look at the LP10 visually is the more atractive compared to the 162 (yes it doesn't really matter the look as long as it gets me 10's) . Sitll the handle isn't to my liking but hey, nothing's perfect right?
RJP

LP 300 trigger

Post by RJP »

cdf wrote
The Walther LP300 might be an option... There are so few around that its hard to tell if the bad trigger stories are truth or urban ledgend.
I have owned a Walther LP 300 for several years now. My LP 300 was the first batch to arrive in the US. The trigger is good. It just did not hold the adjustments very long. I needed to readjust the trigger every 6 months or so.

Walther has improved the trigger and I installed one of these on my LP 300. The adjustment screws are much harder to turn and they hold adjustment much longer than before. I installed the new trigger about 16 months ago and I have not had to readjust the trigger since that time. The improved trigger has eliminated the only negative item about this airpistol. All the other features of this airpistol compare favorably with the other top airpistols with mechanical triggers.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Cuervo79 wrote: Also I'm very visualy oriented and I hate the natural color of most of the handles (even if that's the norm) makes the pistols in my eyes look old.
Go to the Rink website http://www.formgriffe.de/english/ to see some really beuatiful handles
cdf

Post by cdf »

Sir , I'm with you on the looks issue , the silver LP10 is a sharp looking unit . Mine is the plane jane black unit . A fella I know has a silver , with drop dead beautifull wood - what a joy to handle and shoot ! See if you can find the pic of the LP1 our host engraved - a work of art .

Pride of qwnership certainly wont hurt your score any , in fact it may induce you to try to be worthy of your equipment .`THe Morini 162 is a bit homely , but it is a truly magnificent shooter . Rink does make some really attractive grips .

Chris
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

cdf wrote:Pride of qwnership certainly wont hurt your score any .........

........ unless you let it deter you from making any necessary alterations.
bubba_zenetti

Post by bubba_zenetti »

I just purchased a Rohm Twinmaster match model. For a sub $900 pistol it is a great buy. I am not a consumer reports writer so don't expect a super detailed review out of me. But here is a quick report.

I fired it today for the first time. So far here is what I like:

Accurate. Firing from a sand bag, I was able to put every shot into a hole around 1/4 in diameter

Rear sight is adjustable for notch width by turning an allen screw.

Trigger is adjustable for first and second stage weight. It is also adjustable for length by moving the grip (around 12mm so they say)There is also a screw for over travel.

Trigger break. Not what i would call the breaking glass rod crisp. but it is smooth. It just feels like it is rolling off the sear. No creepiness or notchy feeling.

Balance. Out of the box it seemed just fine. You can add sliding weights that come with the pistol.

Recoil. None. Zip Zero Zilch Nada :)

Things I did not like but I can live with:

Grip. While it felt right in my hand, there was a tendancy for my thumb to rub the second joint on the top of the thumb shelf.

Trigger. I do not really care for the shape of the shoe. Its wide at the top and narrow down the center. There is no adjustemnt for angle :(

Bore hieght. Sits a bit higher than some other air pistols but I felt it still pointed rather well. I perfer a bore that sits deep in your hand closer to the forearm.

Overall finish of the pistol is very good. While it does not have that super high quality look and feel of a FWB or Hammerli, It does not scream I am cheap. It comes packaged in a plastic case with cutout foam, a factory test target, filling adapters, weight and allen wrenches.

Post by Guest »

Heres something that may interest the original poster.

http://www.samarms.ch/

Click on "TargetSport Tested" on left of page.
Cuervo79

Post by Cuervo79 »

Interesting Article, but no real comparison with other brands, only "it achives the same as others".
Any personal experiences with this brand of air pistol?

Thank you for taking the time in responding to this thread.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

He hasn't updated it for quite a while but you might be interested in Clive Kay's Air Pistol Tests
Cuervo79

Post by Cuervo79 »

I read his reviews when I started fishing in google for information, but as you said he hasn´t updated, and by the looks of it he´s doing it by the pistols he buys wich means he´s doing it out of his heart but comes up short because he can´t try all the pistols on the market
thanx for sharing
Matvei

Post by Matvei »

Cuervo70,

I swapped from Morini 162EI to SAM 14, couple of years ago, and I cannot regret my choice. So here is one opinion of SAM. I shoot between 94 - 97 for 10 shots, if that's any kind of recommendation.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Cuervo79 wrote:.... and by the looks of it he´s doing it by the pistols he buys wich means he´s doing it out of his heart but comes up short because he can´t try all the pistols on the market
Having known Clive for over 20 years, believe me, he bought guns to test them rather than testing guns he bought. His biggest problem was too many other interests and not enough time, not his inability to buy pistols.

Sadly Clive has now virtually stopped his shooting in favour of his other pleasures.
Elmas

the TESRO PA 10

Post by Elmas »

After my Old FWB model 2 was given away to a friend in the hope of introducing him to air pistol match shooting , my eyesight deteriorated a bit , then I had my IOL implant and suddenly the fuzzy hazy sights became razor sharp once more , almost miraculously, my interest in shooting revived acutely...

This prompted me to look for a new 'modern' pistol .

Living in Egypt , choice was limited to used older FWB's and overpriced Morinis and Walthers.

I scanned the .net and found the Sams and this Tesro model that looks just fine...

I was hesitant to buy "sight unseen" quoting someone on here... but now that I have seen that a few of you have actually bought guns off the net ' blind , sans voir' ... I realized it was worth the risk.

I wonder if anyone on here actually heard of the Tesro or has actually tried one ...??

Post by Guest »

From my research, that article that David posted is about as good as youre gonna get.