Weak reset spring in my Pardini SP New 22lr

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
pardi

Weak reset spring in my Pardini SP New 22lr

Post by pardi »

I'm having trouble getting used to the trigger of my newly acquired Pardini SP NEW 22lr - mechanical trigger.

I bought it to compete in the Standard pistol discipline, but in the 20" and 10" I found the trigger to be pretty slow in its "reset" movement (when the trigger goes into battery after having discharged a round). As if the "spring-back spring" was too weak.

I tried to adjust the trigger as to have the least feasible amount of first and second stage travel but it was still a pain in the butt because I had to consciously move the index finger forward as to allow the trigger to reset (virtually all other pistols I've ever tried had enough strength as to do it unconsciously. Even a previous Pardini SP I owned). That conscious index finger movement made the sights move out of the bull after every shot.

I asked the local Pardini importer whether this behaviour was expected in this pistol and he said it was (in fact he gave me a very rude explanation and even lost his temper so he made me feel anger and curious at the same time because of his behaviour).

What do you guys advice me to do with this trigger? Is there a way to train for such a weak trigger reset spring? Otherwise that pistol rocks!
jigmeb

Post by jigmeb »

Hi, I have the same problem with my Pardini SP RF version, when I shoot rapid fire I have to really focus on my trigger finger in order to be able to let it go back enough so that the trigger resets its self and in 4 second strings its a BIG problem. So I still dont have a good trigger set up for rapid fire or the 10 second part of standard shooting.
Help us please,

Thanks,

jigmeb.
pardi

Post by pardi »

I'm (somehow) glad to read that I'm not the only one with that problem.

I realize currently manufactured Pardinis are useless in Rapid Fire as well as Standard Pistol.

Did somebody try to successfully get in touch with Pardini Italy?
diopter

Post by diopter »

Perhaps try increasing trigger pull weight a bit, then move trigger position back towards grip.
My setup seems fine for me, except perhaps that I might need more overtravel. Time will tell.
Axel

Post by Axel »

pardi wrote:I'm (somehow) glad to read that I'm not the only one with that problem.

I realize currently manufactured Pardinis are useless in Rapid Fire as well as Standard Pistol.

Did somebody try to successfully get in touch with Pardini Italy?
Yes, just drop them a mail and you will get answers pretty fast.

I wouldn't say that the pardini mechanical trigger is useless in RF anf SP. Trigger has to reset - you have to get used to it or get the electronic version of the trigger instead.

Post by Guest »

I suggest you clean the trigger and sear link with some light oil or degreaser (wd40 as an example),
I have seen pardinis come from the factory with protective grease that is quite sticky and grease in the trigger action might cause sluggish trigger reset.

You should also check that the sear link resets properly, with the grip off it´s visible through a hole left side of the frame.
When you cycle the slide with the trigger pulled, the sear link will be disconnected from the sear, as you release the trigger you will see the sear link slide into position, it does so on a angled engagement surface, it should slide all the way up to the stop, I even prefer to have a little motion before the link contacts the sear.
You adjust this play with the small allen screw on the trigger pivot.

/Anders

Post by Guest »

Great suggestion!

But I would not use WD-40. It leaves a residue that gets gummy over time.

In my opinion, WD-40 should never get near a gun, even if it does smell kind of good. :)

trigger

Post by Guest »

are there shooters who do not take the finger completely off the trigger between shots?
Nicole Hamilton

Re: Weak reset spring in my Pardini SP New 22lr

Post by Nicole Hamilton »

pardi wrote:I'm having trouble getting used to the trigger of my newly acquired Pardini SP NEW 22lr - mechanical trigger.

I bought it to compete in the Standard pistol discipline, but in the 20" and 10" I found the trigger to be pretty slow in its "reset" movement (when the trigger goes into battery after having discharged a round). As if the "spring-back spring" was too weak.
I had this same problem on my SP New. After some experimentation, the problem appears to have been a bad setting of screw PG (disconnector engagement.) I found that about 3/8 turn counter-clockwise fixed it. Try this and let us know if it works for you, too.

I'm a little disappointed because I'm convinced Don Nygord, when he was alive and still the US Pardini importer, would never have sent me a gun that wasn't already perfectly adjusted. I think he used to inspect and adjust every gun he sold personally. And of course, anyone who ever dealt with him discovered there wasn't anything about his guns he didn't know or any part you might have needed that he couldn't deliver from stock.

Sadly, it's becoming clear that while Larry Carter, the current Pardini importer here in the US, is a nice enough guy, he is not Don Nygord. As others have discovered, Larry doesn't, for example, even keep a minimal selection of grips in stock. And when I asked Larry for advice about this trigger problem, his answer was he didn't know much about the SP New because he sold them as quickly as they came in and had never kept one long enough to get any experience with it.

Post by Guest »

I wholeheartedly agree with Nicole's assessment. Larry is a great guy but the more I deal with him the more I wish Don were still around.