MG2 Impressions

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

The Pardini electronics are a suboptimal piece of work. The microswitch is mounted in way that doesn't allow for any follow through on the trigger. One can adjust it that way, but that will just press the switch back on its contact wires, which doesn't do it any good. The Pardini fires when the circuit closes, while the Morini will go off when the switch opens - obviously, the Morini principle works better, uses less power (empirical knowledge) and is better adjustable. The Pardini Switch must be the cheapest thing on this planet - we used to exchange it for one that cost 10 times as much - $2 instead of $0.20. The new one has 2'000'000 clicks guaranteed, instead of 50'000. A lot of problems stopped after this. Another point is that the Pardini uses the frame as electric mass. If the contact between the screw that holds the electronics module and the frame gets dirty, the thing won't shoot. There were some Pardinis around that wouldn't shoot at all until that area was polished to get maximum contact between screw and frame. And because the grip retaining screw can get into direct contact with the electronics module, that's another fast way to have the worlds most expensive paperweight. I learned my lesson from the Pardini RFP's, and that was it. Never again, not unless Cesare's name is on it.
R.M.

Post by R.M. »

Mark
Yes, I'm waiting for the let-down. It just seems that every time I pick it up, I shoot a PB. I know this can't go on forever.
It goes without saying that yes, I am training rapid with it. I just haven't shot a match with it yet, so I can't throw out any numbers. I'm afraid to say that my first match will be Nationals. Lots of training though, and things are looking much better than the GSP. Like you say, it's very shootable.
Someone asked, can't remember who, but yes the serial # is in the 1500's.

Life is good.
R.M.
neugirig

The mal-tempered MG2, is it still made?

Post by neugirig »

Prette much quiet about the MG2 lately. Are all guns performing well now, or has the gun become discontinued?
If not, is it a recommendable gun now?
R.M.

Post by R.M. »

Now that CDN Nationals are over, I'm taking a bit of a rest. I did shoot the MG2 Monday, and although I didn't shoot another PB, it would have been 2 months ago.
So far, I have not had "The Big Jam". I have had a couple of mis-feeds while racking the first shot in, but I have learned that it needs to racked with authority. I'm probably somewhere around 2K rounds through it.
I can say that I have no regrets, and I've had a couple of people at my club show interest in getting one also.

R.M.
David in Ottawa

MG2

Post by David in Ottawa »

Thanks for the update.. I just purchased an MG2 in the 1500 range as well, (on Mark's recommendation of course ;-), and I'm hoping for a trouble free experience!

Hey Mark! I think I got your Rinke grip!!! Fits me fine! :-) (blessed with small hands!).

One question I have is.. (this is my first standard pistol...) Should I buy spare parts now, and if so, which ones!????

Cheers,

David
R.M. wrote:Now that CDN Nationals are over, I'm taking a bit of a rest. I did shoot the MG2 Monday, and although I didn't shoot another PB, it would have been 2 months ago.
So far, I have not had "The Big Jam". I have had a couple of mis-feeds while racking the first shot in, but I have learned that it needs to racked with authority. I'm probably somewhere around 2K rounds through it.
I can say that I have no regrets, and I've had a couple of people at my club show interest in getting one also.

R.M.
Mike T.

Spare parts for MG2

Post by Mike T. »

David,
If you can get it, I suggest you pick up at least one spare Bullet Insert Lever, part 2060. It is the part most likely to fail. A broken BIL turns the MG2 into a single shot pistol. It is a bit tricky to replace, but there, in Ottawa, you have a couple of experienced, amateur gunsmiths to assist you :-)
Mike T.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

David,

If all else fails, I have a decent selection of spare parts. If you can get some spares, I would agree with Mike's recommendation.

Here's a pretty complete list of spares.

1 x BIL
1 x cradle
1 x firing pin
1 x extractor
1 x extractor spring
2 x trigger springs
2 x mainsprings (hammer spring) because these DO break if you mistreat them
2 x recoil springs

This list would cost a small fortune to acquire all at once. Might be better to recover from sticker shock of the pistol purchase before getting too much spare inventory.

By the way, my MG-2 in the 1500-series was a bit sticky at first. There was a slight burr on the extractor groove in the chamber. This has since worn itself smooth and it seems to work very well. Too bad I can't shoot worth a darn!

Mark.

PS: I can also agree with Mike's statements about "amateur" gunsmiths... LoL
David in Ottawa

Spares for MG2

Thanks Mike and Mark!!!

I'm very lucky to have some local talent to help with the MG2... especially since this is my first standard pistol... based on the reviews, it might not have been my first choice if I hadn't had a chance to try Mark's, and didn't have some local support and advice!

Based on the comments so far (and from other forums), I 'm going to assume that a spare BIL will be my first spare required before a major competition..

Should I assume (Mark) that the list you provided is in order of priority??? If not, which spares would you recommend to purchase first, and more importantly.. which ones MUST I have before a major competition???

I really appreciate the help... This forum, and targetshooting.ca are INVALUABLE resources for the new shooter!!!!!

Cheers,

David
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Before major competition I would have a back-up gun for when Murphy's Law kicks in and your MG becomes inoperable.
It's not as if they give you that much time to strip your pistol down, replace spares and then get back to the firing line.
I haven't had experience with the MG. Only One guy in our club shoots with one and he's had it break down 2-3 times.
David in Ottawa

Colin... are you secretly Mark B. in Ottawa?? *kidding*

I'm pretty sure that Mark would have piped in with the same advice...

Hey Mark... maybe that Walther SSP as a backup??? :-) Yeah the trigger was a bit wonkey, but I liked the balance..

ergh...

well.. This year is going to be an MG2 only year... (standard and RF).. I'm sure it will make it through my very light usage (5,000 shots???). If I can manage to be competitive by next fall, I'll certainly think about a backup (which I fully agree with!!).

So... here's another off topic question... If you have many pistols (Air, Standard, Free etc..) Is there any benefit going with the same grip mfg for all??? ie.. Rinke for all 3 pistols???

David

Post by Guest »

I learned my lesson from the Pardini RFP's, and that was it. Never again, not unless Cesare's name is on it.
Ditto, after 5 months, 4 different electronic modules and wasted trips to Singapore and Malaysia (having to shoot competitions with borrowed pistols!) I sent mine back and demanded a replacement (with a mechanical trigger). Now 10 months later I have 100% reliability with the mechanical trigger. Sadly, the whole experience has put me off Rapid Fire (after almost 20 years) and I'm now all but retired.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

David - forget using the same grip on different pistols, doesn't really work. You're using different pressure levels on grip and trigger, so the grips have to be differently sized. Believe me, I tried. You end up dremeling/puttying your way around the same grip, depending on what you are shooting at the moment. If you have three separate grips, they will end up similar, but certainly not the same.

Guest - actually (although it's a bit depressing) I'm kind of happy not to be alone. Everybody else is telling me how great their Pardini electronic works. IMHO, people (working in Italy) who don't recognize a perfect solution for their problem (Morini trigger, as used by Schumann in his 22 short RFP) and have to prove that they can do it better (and screw up on the way) shouldn't be taken serious, much less supported in their philosophy. I respect the way Pardini has improved their concept over the years, but they should be kept away of any non-mechanical things.
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Colin... are you secretly Mark B. in Ottawa?? *kidding*

I'm pretty sure that Mark would have piped in with the same advice...
David, I've never been to Ottowa, too far north of the Equator and your water spins down the plug hole in the wrong direction.
However, a back-up gun is a good idea. I've got an old Unique DES69U in the case just in case, but then my new IZH-35 will probably never break down. Now there's something I can use as a hammer !!!
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

David,

Getting hit pretty hard at work so little is available to respond. To answer your question, parts listed in my note above are in no particular order. If I were to place them in order it would likely be as follows:

BIL
Hammer spring
extractor
extractor spring
and then all other bits and pieces lumped together.

As far as a backup gun goes, I have great difficulty not having a backup gun until I've been able to establish the reliability of my 'main' gun. In the case of my airgun, I haven't had a moment's trouble with it, so no longer carry a spare. With the Morini free pistol it's pretty much the same thing, except I have a complete set of spares. Given the length of an FP match, and the fact that it only takes a couple of minutes to change all the major components in that pistol, I can't justify carrying a spare FP.

But with RF pistols it's a different story. They're mechanically complex, much more so than AP's or FP's, and they normally take much longer to repair, while the match structure gives little time to actually effect repair. This being the case, it's a good idea to have a second gun in your box, or have another shooter with whom you have a 'sharing' agreement so you can have instantaneous access to a functional pistol. If we take the Nationals as an example, I had two MG-2's with me. Had you been shooting an MG-2 and the gun had broken you could have had access to my spare MG-2. Slap your grip on the gun and you're pretty much ready to go. This wouldn't be optimal, but would at least provide coverage in the event of a disaster. Luckily for me I can shoot both my main and my backup gun equally well (or poorly, as the case seems to be these days), so switching from primary to backup causes me absolutely no grief. I don't even have to swap grips.

See you at the range tomorrow night!

Mark.