Fifteen seconds are sufficient to take a shot?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Hans A.

Fifteen seconds are sufficient to take a shot?

Post by Hans A. »

Dear all,

Since I started learning how to shoot properly in any ISSF events, my coaches always told me the importance of rhythm. Of course I followed their advice and by doing it time after time, now I have some sort of ritual going on each time I took a shot.

Today, as usual, we were going through this rhythm training again, but the difference was, apparently I couldn't land even a single pellet on my targets! My rituals (the proper arrangement of things - from picking up the rifle until follow through) were too "long" (about 20 seconds on average) to keep up with my coach's new 15 seconds time limit "finals". When I reasoned to him that the time limit was too short, he said that he want to train us to be decisive in a great mental pressure (the 15 seconds time limit), and he thought it was reasonable.

My question is, are my shots too long (15 seconds are sufficient)? Do I should try to take a shot by speeding up things a bit (and by doing so, build a new "rhythm"), or should I keep my old "rhythm" (be stubborn - but this is going to be problematic because of some reasons, one of them is my future relationship with my coach). How do you think I should approach this problem?

Any of your input is greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance.

Hans
PS: One time I stumbled in a site about world shooter match/training record using RIKA/SCATT/something else. Could any of you please provide a link to it?
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Hans,

We find that as our shooters progress their rhythm changes. The ultimate is for the shot to go off within a second of the rifle hitting your shoulder and cheek. The first time this happens is very scarry, but these shots are nearly always deep 10s (becasue your mind and body were in synch).

Discuss your "rituals" with your coach. Perhaps part of these should be done prior to mounting the rifle (eg visualization of the perfect shot), or perhaps you will want to start be mounting the rifle twice per shot - once to check NPA and do your "ritual" and the second time to fire the shot in a short period of time.

We try to get our shooters to fire in the first five seconds after monuting the rifle, and once they get used to this they begin to see more of the "nearly instantaneous" shots.

good luck.
P30man

Post by P30man »

I have to disagree with most of this, for standing 10m, you need to let the skeleton and muscles settle after lifting the rifle before taking the shot.
Most of the top international shooters take at least 30 seconds, and why not, you get 75 seconds to fire in the final.
However, what the coach is trying to teach is also valid, just not sure of his methods.

IMHO

Regards
Bob
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Hans,
I would suggest you have a proper talk with your coach. I suspect he is using this aspect as a training tool and will then revert back to the norm. It seems however that this hasn't been communicated very well. So I suggest you ask him to talk you through it, ask him to explain the reasoning behind it so that you both understand the full nature of what you are being asked to do and how it will help you as a shooter.

Rob.
Hans A.

Post by Hans A. »

Thank you for all and I'm sorry for the late reply.

Rob has hit it correctly that it was "just" a training tool, and he is also correct that it wasn't been communicated very well. My coach said that there would be times when I would not be able to "take my time" so that a shot must be released quickly, and when I think it on, I fully agree because I have experienced it myself.

So the lesson was, when speed is important, I must make everything quickly, rightly in the first place, and pull the trigger with confidence. Yet, I am still having a hard time to do it correctly though (that confidence thing is hard because everything feels wrong, maybe i don't do it correctly in the first place).

Thanks again for all of you.
Old Grouch

Post by Old Grouch »

When do you measure 'time' ? It is certainly true that you want your position settled. But you only have about 7 seconds of really good eyesight after you stop breathing and focus on the target. After that, contrast and resolution drop off. You can still shoot, you just don't see as well. The Germans use a six second rule: after settling, and 6 more seconds, either shoot or put it down. Like watching a machine. Hold for 20-30 seconds and you get tired a lot sooner. With more shots off-call.
I don't look at the sights until I get settled. With a good NPA, I'm already on target. 3-5 seconds, shot downrange.