Which air pistol .177 pellets to practice with ?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
iow

Which air pistol .177 pellets to practice with ?

Post by iow »

Hi,
As a novice , which pellets do you guys recommend that i practice with ?
I've heard & read that it makes a huge difference. I've just purchased a Feinwerkbau P-34.
Thanks,
Len
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

In my opinion it doesn't really matter what you use for practice.

I use Gamo match for practice and use Meisterkugeln for matches.

Both brands of pellets put 10 shots through one hole when shot from a vice in my FWB P30, although the Gamo pellets make a slightly larger ragged hole.

Mikey
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

same ones you shoot with

just call up pilkguns and have him send you 5000 Vogel green 4.50

Poole
RobStubbs

Re: Which air pistol .177 pellets to practice with ?

Post by RobStubbs »

iow wrote:Hi,
As a novice , which pellets do you guys recommend that i practice with ?
I've heard & read that it makes a huge difference. I've just purchased a Feinwerkbau P-34.
Thanks,
Len
Len,
Use the same ones for practice and comps, do not have two separate sets (why would you want to ? - they're so cheap anyway). With the gun you should have a test card which describes the pellets used and pick the same size (i.e. 4.49, 4.50, 4.51 etc) I'd just buy a decent quality set of pellets and stick with them for now. You may at a later stage decide you want to find the optimal brand and size and buy a single batch in bulk but that's not necessary at this stage.

Rob.
TWP

Post by TWP »

Bill Poole wrote:same ones you shoot with

just call up pilkguns and have him send you 5000 Vogel green 4.50

Poole
That's what I did for my daughter. But we started out with 5,000 Vogle orange. I think the price difference was greater back then, according to the price list there is only a $10 difference on 5,000 pellets, I'd just buy the green now.

After most of the 5,000 Vogle's went down range we bought her a new rifle (had been using a club gun). A short time later she qualified for the Junior Olympics so I went to the trouble of testing pellets.

Her gun ended up liking R10's in 4.48 the best. I have a whole bunch of them on hand now.

If you are a novice the biggest thing is to practice a lot. As you get better and start winning and placing well in matches then worry about the perfect pellet.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

TWP wrote: If you are a novice the biggest thing is to practice a lot. As you get better and start winning and placing well in matches then worry about the perfect pellet.
I think you mean train a lot.

Rob,
iow

Post by iow »

Thanks Rob.
Harror Dei

pellets for practise

Post by Harror Dei »

For my Steyr LP 50 I use Schõnebck Hubertus discount pellets, flathead or roundhead, both are rifled pellets.
I spend about half a case (one case is 30.000) pellets pr. year of this stuff. Cost is near nill, or 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of standard H&N pellets.

These SK Hubertus pellets are a litle harder than the softest match pellets, and I use the rear end of a ball pen to pust the pellets level with the surface of the LP50 magazines. Not much difference in target performance from standard match pellets in rapid fire practise with the Steyr.
streamdreams

Post by streamdreams »

Anything of respectable quality, untill you can keep them in the black, then test to see what suits the gun best.

Airpistol barrels are fragile, I would never put something of low quality down my steyr barrel, likewise i would never put in a pellet that had been droped on the ground - grit - cost me half a tin once ;(

best of luck
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

streamdreams wrote: Airpistol barrels are fragile, I would never put something of low quality down my steyr barrel, likewise i would never put in a pellet that had been droped on the ground - grit - cost me half a tin once ;(

best of luck
I don't think they are fragile, but I certainly wouldn't put a pellet in my guns that had been on the shooting bench, never mind picked up off the floor. Grit and precision engineering don't mix very well.

Rob.