Baikal IZ-35m not feeding correctly

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
lamap

Baikal IZ-35m not feeding correctly

Post by lamap »

Dear Friends,

I use a baikal IZ-35m on RF and Standart. I have lots of problems frequently I get a empty shell jamed in the ejection window and a round half way to the chamber. I am using Geco pistol for amunition. Same results with Eley pistol standart. Could it be too soft? is there a way to tune better the pistol?

Sorry for the poor english.

Thank you
Best regards
Luis
Fred Mannis

Re: Baikal IZ-35m not feeding correctly

Post by Fred Mannis »

lamap wrote:Dear Friends,

I use a baikal IZ-35m on RF and Standart. I have lots of problems frequently I get a empty shell jamed in the ejection window and a round half way to the chamber. I am using Geco pistol for amunition. Same results with Eley pistol standart. Could it be too soft? is there a way to tune better the pistol?

Sorry for the poor english.

Thank you
Best regards
Luis
Luis,
The problem you describe happens to me on occasion. Last time it occured I was shooting Eley Practice instead of the Wolfe I usually use. With Wolfe I can shoot 500-1000 rounds without a malfunction. Wolfe is made by SK Jagd, so you might try that if you can't find any Wolfe.
Hope this helps,
Fred
jh

Izh35

Post by jh »

Luis,
Is it clean?
Do fresh rounds enter and leave the chamber easily?
Is the fired case staying half in the chamber/barrel or just in the window?

There seems to be an issue with the chamber getting peened over.
If not maybe extractor/ejector problems, or the ammunition is underpowered for the spring.

On one of my mags the follower rises a bit slowly, due to burrs/roughness, causing jams, but cases eject OK

JH
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

I would be looking at extractor problems first. One thing about the IZH is that all sorts of ammo cycle through it. It is simple technology and as long as the ammo has enough power to cycle the pistol there should be no worries.

I have had no worries with mine as yet but will admit it has been fed a diet of Fiocci Maxac Soft, Ely Standard and Ely Match. I prefer these brands as they are reliable and since switching to these have only had one misfire in the past three years with a Unique and now the IZH-35M have not had a misfire or ejection problem.

I suggest strip the pistol down, give it a good clean and then look at the extractor. Is it worn, has the tip been damaged etc.
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

Mine is an Walther KSP200- not much difference from the original Izzy. I got mine with a set of magazines that were not Walther, but original Izzy and they had to be "adjusted" ( futz around with) to work properly with the Walther. A couple of points---(1) take the mag apart (it's easy) ; (2) clean it throughly; (3) lube with graphite' (4) pull a couple of turns of the spring open a wee bit; (5) test the mag for free and easy movement; (6) carefully load the mags with ammo, lock and load---hold the gun tilted to the right and cycle the slide to see all five rounds function through and eject. All of these tests should then culminate in trying to rapid fire the gun at the range. If you are getting a "stovepipe" then it's the ammo, failure to load after the first round, then it's the mainspring; stove pipe on the last round I wouldn't worry. Any other failures to load, fire & extract are ammo problems. My Walther will not properly cycle RWS Target, Eley Pistol Match, nor (pardon the expression) Remington nor CCI Standard Velocity (seems almost counter intuitive to such a crudely produced gun) I found my KSP200 loves Aquila SE (which most shooters around here will not use) or Wolf. Working on IZH mags wasn't too tough (they are already hand adjusted to each specific IZH that left the factory---but the brand new IZH mag was a bear to adjust for the gun---(several hours of file, adjust and shoot.)
diopter

At Least two different IZH mags

Post by diopter »

I met up with a friend from Seattle in a shoot in Vancouver last fall.
He tried my Izh and was impressed enough to buy a used one in his home state. He only had two mags and was having problems with both of them, with his so I sent him a couple of my spares.

It turns out that there are major differences between the version EAA were selling with their "'American" button magazine realease , and the regular International version heel realease like mine.

There is a rib on the back of the international version that helps the heel version get very positive lock-up.

There might also be an issue with some time period versions being able to use some MCM mags.
olli

Re: Baikal IZ-35m not feeding correctly

Post by olli »

lamap wrote:Dear Friends,

Luis,

try different ammo, like Geco Rifle. My IZH-35 feeds it perfectly, and it doesn't feel too hot (I don't shoot RF, though). My gun also likes CCI Standard black bullet version, but makes occasional stovepipes with Federal Target, Federal Champion, and CCI Standard with light-colored bullet.
Iceman

Post by Iceman »

IZH-35 is definitely "choosy" with the ammo. Even every individual gun. So You must test a bit and find the best choice.

CCI Standard "black bullet" is almost every time "a hit", as Olli wrote. But the CCI Standard with "bright" bullet is a mess! Jams, doubles etc.

I have also good experiences with Remington Target and PMC Pistol Match. I think, that it's mainly matter of the bullet shape, not the cartridge power.
PASA008

Feeding problem

Post by PASA008 »

One of the greatest features of my Izzy is it isn't terribly fussy about ammo. I have had great success with PMC Scoremaster. If you read the mfg. address on the box, it is exactly the same as on the Aguilla SE, (Mexico). I have fired over 3 cases (15,000) rounds and only had two failures to feed in the past several years. Usually feeding problems are magazine related. Keeping them clean is a good start. There are instructions on making a mag adjusting tool and adjusting a magazine on a High Standard site. The tool makes the job a lot easier.
Iceman

Post by Iceman »

Yes Sir!

The PMC Scoremaster works fine with my izzy, too.
Fred Mannis

Adjustin IZH 35 Magazines

Post by Fred Mannis »

PASA008 wrote: There are instructions on making a mag adjusting tool and adjusting a magazine on a High Standard site. The tool makes the job a lot easier.
I've attached the articles - one on constructing the tool, the other on proper dimensions, courtesy of a note on the Bullseye-L from Carlos da Silva
Attachments
IZH-35 mag lip dimensions.pdf
mag lip dimensions
(1.3 KiB) Downloaded 313 times
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Use European ammon and you should have no worries. I have found European pistols generally do not like U.S. ammo so in my pistols I have given up using Winchester, CCI, and Federal.
My IZH loves Eley match, Eley Standard, Fiocchi, SK. I have heard it has something to do with rim thickness as there is apparently a difference between Europe and U.S.
diopter

Post by diopter »

Fred, I forget I even took those measurements until You posted them here.

Recenlty I sample a box each of lapau Match M and L.
I and still getting some slamfires with CCI SV. Recedntly I had 10-12 slamfires during the match in Ottawa. The Lapau had no problem over the 100 rounds I tried so far with the IZH. I just Wish there would be some Lapau Club still in stock locally to try out.

BTW: Anyone else notice a large difference in point of impact between Lapau Match M and L? The M was the same as CCI SV, while the L was off the black high and left, and that was at 20 yds on a CNRA timed/ rapid target. But what a nice group!
lamap

Thank you very much for the advice. Regards,

Post by lamap »

LP