Looking for precision smallbore and air rifles for college.

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

10.9paperpuncher

Looking for precision smallbore and air rifles for college.

Post by 10.9paperpuncher »

I am currently looking for a smallbore and an air rifle to buy for when I go to college. Right now I borrow guns from my coach. Does anyone have any suggestions, what to get or what not to get, or anything of that sort? I have been looking mainly at FWBs and Anschuetzs. I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks,
10.9paperpuncher
10.9paperpuncher

Post by 10.9paperpuncher »

thanks for the link
TWP

Post by TWP »

The Anschutz 8002 would probably be alright at the college level. Plenty of College shooters have used the older 2002CA with very good effect.

But I don't think very many college shooters are using 1903's. They are on the Anschutz 64 action. Most competitive shooters prefer the 54 action or the square 20xx action.

If you are looking for a used small bore rifle I'd call Mac Tilton at http://www.mtguns.com/ He gets in lots of used target rifles from overseas and is a great guy to deal with. I bought my daughters rifle through him. He doesn't list stuff on his web site so give him a call and see what he has. He's an old target shooter and will get you a good rifle.

Another source of used target rifles is Thad Scott http://www.thadscott.com/ although by looking at his web site it looks like he has mostly older 54's and 14 series guns. I've never dealt with him though.

Finally you may want to wait and see what rifles the school has you will be going to. I believe many of them have team rifles and I know that some of our shooters who have gone to college on shooting scholarships are using team guns instead of their own. As part of your contact with the college coaches ask them about rifle availability.
Padawan

Post by Padawan »

I have just started shooting in college (Go State!) and it really doesn't matter what rifle you have. Most Schools have team rifles, and some of my teammates are using old pump guns and they are going to competitons and shooting just fine.

Another part of the decision is budget, can you afford a really good rifle? If so get one, you should always get the best rifle you can afford, you don't want it to hold you up. What did you shoot in high school? Whatever it is, you might want to stick with the brand you are comfortable with, I did.

If you are looking for a rifle that can take you to the top, go for one of the nice new ones, I would recommend the Anschutz 9003 or the FWB 700. Hold any rifle you are considering and see which one you like the feel of the best.

Hope this helps,

Tori
seemehaha

Post by seemehaha »

echoing those above me, ask and see what your coach may have in stock. then keep an eye out here and at other sites for a good used one if that's still what you want to do.

for air gun i would go with an anschutz 2002. i owned a fwb, shot the p70's and then bought a 2002. i prefer anschutz, so i'm not trying to say everything else is bad. once the 9003's came out i stupidly sold my 2002 and bought a 9003 and have hated it ever since. my coach keeps telling me that we're still trying to get it adjusted right (a year and a half after buying it) but i'm frusterated with it. 2002s are pretty cheap now so it seems like a win-win to me.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

Don't know where the original poster is from, but Thad Scott is from Mississippi and in the past has sold at the Tulsa Gun Show which is this month in Oklahoma.

Mike
Wichita KS