4-H _ Rimfire Sporter - Barrel Question

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

jhmartin

4-H _ Rimfire Sporter - Barrel Question

Post by jhmartin »

I've asked this question to the National 4-H folks ... no response, so I'll ask those that have been there & done it.

CMP Rimfire Sporter definition is as follows:
=============================
RIFLES ALLOWED.
Rifles used in the Rimfire Sporter Rifle Match must be standard sporter-type rimfire rifles that meet the following requirements:
Overall weight of the rifle may not exceed 7 ½ pounds, with sights and sling (if a sling is used).
The stock may have a sling swivel, but it must be fixed in one location (rails with adjustable sling swivels are not permitted). Thumbhole stocks, adjustable butt plates, adjustable cheek pieces and rails or adjustable (moveable) sling swivels are not permitted.
Any safe rimfire rifle with any type of action may be used. Rifles should have a magazine capable of holding five rounds so that it can be used during rapid-fire stages. Single shot rifles are permitted, but using a single
shot to fire five shots in 30 seconds in rapid-fire is difficult. Rifles with clip, box or tube-type magazines may be used, however, tube magazines are more difficult to reload quickly during rapid-fire shooting.
The trigger must be capable of lifting a three-pound weight when cocked.
Telescopic, receiver or open sights may be used. Shooters who use rifles with telescopic or receiver (aperture) sights compete in the T-Class. Scopes are limited to six power (6X). If a variable scope is used, the
power adjustment may not exceed 6X and it must be taped in that location. Any rifles with receiver (aperture or ‘peep’) sights must be used in the T-Class. Shooters who use rifles with open sights compete in the
O- Class.
A standard leather or web sling no wider than 1 ¼ inches may be used in the prone and sitting or kneeling positions. Slings may not be used in the standing position, but may remain on the rifle.

4-H has added an interpretation of the rules (2005 Event Synopsis):
In accordance with the intent of this match - barrels of special composition (carbon) or non-factory styles(i.e. fluted) are not permitted. Sporter rifle barrels only.

Finally my question:
Are .920 (no taper) target barrels allowed?
They seem to have inserted confusion when they state non-factory styles not allowed and then say sporter barrels only.

It seems to me that they would not be, as I conclude a sporter barrel has a taper. But, I'm willing to learn.
Albert B

sporter barrel

Post by Albert B »

In the Netherlands we have no Sporter rifle but someting that looks a bit like it (called "Smallbore Carbine"). Difference is that a sling is not allowed.
The way I read it, (just like the rules state in the netherlands) only 'standard' barrels as supplied by the manufacturer when the rifle leaves the factory are allowed.
Over here only the sights as supplied by the manufacturer are allowed.

Albert
(The Netherlands)
mikeschroeder

Re: 4-H _ Rimfire Sporter - Barrel Question

Post by mikeschroeder »

jhmartin wrote:I've asked this question to the National 4-H folks ... no response, so I'll ask those that have been there & done it.........
Finally my question:
Are .920 (no taper) target barrels allowed?
They seem to have inserted confusion when they state non-factory styles not allowed and then say sporter barrels only.

It seems to me that they would not be, as I conclude a sporter barrel has a taper. But, I'm willing to learn.
Hi Joel, CMP is tapered barrel only. No Varmint CZ-452's only the American, trainer etc. No Bull Barrels. If you look at the barrel maker websites you'll see what they're talking about. An example is below.

http://www.pac-nor.com/contours/

Mike
Wichita KS
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Thanks Mike ... that's exactly what I figured as well.

I'm hoping that I get a response from the National guys as well, but that chooses the barrel for me.

<<UPDATE>>
Here is Gary Anderson's reply to me...
Joel:

All our Rimfire Sporter rules say at this point is that the overall weight
of the rifle cannot exceed 7.5 pounds with sights. The barrel configuration
is not specified, but it would take a pretty short bull barrel to stay
within 7.5 pounds, especially if the rifle has a telescope sight. Does that
answer the question?

Gary
So I guess 4-H is using the "no composite/no flutes" to stay within the 7.5 lb restriction.

Joel Martin
gaguest

barrel

Post by gaguest »

4-H can add the rule if they wish.

CMP has never required a tapered barrel.

On the CMP site the picture show several .920 barrels in use
EODTNT1@aol.com

CMP Rimfire Barrel Taper

Post by EODTNT1@aol.com »

Mike,

No Varmint CZ-452's only the American, trainer etc. No Bull Barrels.

Where do you get this? CMP Rule book only references weight, Gary Anderson, talks only about weight. My CZ 452 Varmint has been through Inspection at Nationals (It met weight with a scope) and various Local Matches and it's always passed. I run the Georgia 4H State Championship Match and it's weight. Nothing about tapered barrels. Give me a rule book reference!

Roy McClain
(678) 772-8185 cell
EODTNT1@aol.com

CMP Barrel type?

And the silence is deafening... I guess 7.5 lbs is the only restriction in this discussion. Anyone have a written reference, legal interpretation, or ruling from a governing body?

Roy McClain
(678) 772-8185 cell
mikeschroeder

Re: CMP Barrel type?

Post by mikeschroeder »

EODTNT1@aol.com wrote:And the silence is deafening... I guess 7.5 lbs is the only restriction in this discussion. Anyone have a written reference, legal interpretation, or ruling from a governing body?

Roy McClain
(678) 772-8185 cell
Hi Roy

Didn't see this until now. I was just defining Sporter barrel. Don't know about a ruling from the governing body. If I was a Range Officer and there was a Sporter only rule, then the Varmit barrels and bull barrels would be out.

Just my $0.02

Mike
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Roy ....

My >>personal<< interpretation was the same as Mike's, but there was still the question.

I emailed Gary Anderson who is the Director of the CMP and one of the early originators of the Sporter Rimfire event.

My feeling is that if Gary says it is only 7.5 lbs, then that is the interpretation and intent of the rule.

Take this thread in case there are any questions to your next event if you have a bull barrel.

Also in defense of Mike, and the reason for my question is that the rules do indeed state a sporter type rifle. The first post had the quote from the "Guide to Sporter Rimfire" document ..... and then again in the CMP rulebook it states (page 45)
R 1.0 Intent and Spirit of Sporter Rules
The intent of CMP Rimfire Sporter rules is to promote target competitions with .22 caliber rimfire rifles that are restricted to low-cost, readily available sporter-type rifles typically used in informal target shooting and plinking or small game hunting. Any rifle configuration or item of
equipment that is not mentioned in these rules or that is contrary to the intent and spirit of these rules is prohibited.
R 2.0 Rimfire Sporter Rifle
Any .22 cal. rimfire rifle that complies with the following requirements may be used in CMP Rimfire Sporter Matches.
R 2.1 Overall Weight
The overall weight of the rifle, including sights (sling may be removed), may not exceed 7.5 pounds. External or internal weights may be added to the barrel or stock as long as the overall weight of the rifle, with sights and sling, does not exceed 7.5 pounds.
So I guess the "sporter" applies to the stock only, not the barrel type.

Joel Martin
SD Guest

CMP RFS

Post by SD Guest »

While were at it, can I shoot a .17 caliber?

Or is a .17 not considered Sporter?
EODTNT1@aol.com

SD,

Very specific rules.... .22 cal. Therefor enjoy your .17 for plinking, but no competition...

Maybe someday there will be a catagory for .17, just like Open sighs, vs Target sights.
EODTNT1@aol.com

More Barrel stuff

Joel / Mike

I have a short PowerPoint I'd like to send you and get your thoughts on, regarding Rimfire Barrels. I don't have your email.

Roy McClain
(678) 772-8185 cell
EODTNT1@aol.com