Smallbore Silhouette Ammo - 4-H

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

jhmartin

Smallbore Silhouette Ammo - 4-H

Post by jhmartin »

As the 4-H shooting programs ramp up here in NM I'm now having some kids move into smallbore.

Any suggestions on favorite ammo for smallbore rifle silhouette ammo?

I'm leaning on staying with 1080 fps type target .22LR

Thx for any help...
TWP

Post by TWP »

For accurate inexpensive ammo it's tough to beat Wolf Match Target or the exact same SK Standard Plus.

If you buy it by the case the cost is about $2.15 per box.

If you just need cheap ammo the Federal stuff from CMP at $69 for 3,500 rounds isn't too bad. I haven't tried the Federal Gold Medal the CMP has, but it's only $163 for a case if 5,000.
randy69

22 Ammo

Post by randy69 »

I suppose it depends on what your rifle likes, but since your shooting a larger target then a bullseye accuracy isn't as critical. My experience with gold medal Federal ammo has been mixed. The groups aren't as tight as the SKJag or Wolf ammo, which is manufactured by SK. The best thing you can do is buy some sample boxes of ammo and try them each out. If you can bench the guns in some type of vice to keep the gun from moving you'll find out how each gun groups with a particular ammo. I was surprised about some of the groups I got from various manufactures.

Aquila SE ammo wasn't bad and it's really inexpensive, but the bullet lube they used usually gummed up the chamber of my 22 target pistols so badly that I couldn't put a round in the chamber. In a rifle the Aguila ammo might be okay. Their chambers probably aren't as tight as my free or sport pistols.

Since the kids are just learning I wouldn't waste the money on real expensive ammo at this stage.