Daisy 1894

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Jim Morrison

Daisy 1894

Post by Jim Morrison »

Don’t know if this is in the right spot or not. But I’ve never see a junior air gun coach who wasn’t interested in any kind or type of BB gun.

I got a Daisy Model 1894/1994 with the Commemorative Medallion, octagonal shaped barrel, marked “Limited Edition 1894 1994”. The box is marked 00298, what ever that means.

Any one interested?
WRC177

Post by WRC177 »

Hi Jim! Nice to see you here at Target Talk!

Daisy 1894 sure brings back memories - that was my first BB gun. I'm sure Santa brought it, and - NO - I didn't shoot my eye out like Ralphie. :^) It saw a lot of use, was fixed by Dad once or twice, but finally just plain wore out. Still a wall-hanger!
If I would have a decent place to keep or display that rifle of yours, I'd take it, but I'd be doing it an injustice by packing it away in storage.

BTW - talking about junoirs, coaches, and BB guns - I'd love to find a short-stocked, easy to pump, BB gun for Cub Scout use. We used some nice Daisy's at camp (single pump pneumatic, peep sights), but the buttstocks were wayyy too long for kids. Don't understand why these are marketed for youth, but have adult sized stocks.

Anyways - Season's Greetings! Paula, Wheaton (Il) Rifle Club
Jim Morrison

Cub Scout air gun

Post by Jim Morrison »

Paula, Good the hear from you.

To me, the best air gun for the cub scout age juniors is the Daisy 499.

Coupled with the NRA 5 meter qualification program.
Raymond Odle

Post by Raymond Odle »

Paula,

We have some Daisy 845 which are single stroke and have peep sights.
I simply chopped off the end of the plastic stocks then filled the end with bondo.

The 499 is a better gun but we have some little ones who consistantly shoot tens with the 845. For scouts I would prefer the 845 over the 499 simply because the 499 is a muzzle loader.
X Man

Post by X Man »

The Daisy 1894 was sure a piece of junk! I was given one for Christmas, about 1966. (It's hard to remember back that far!) Yeah, I still have it, and a little league baseball pitcher could throw with more accuracy than this gun will shoot. Anyway, back then, I thought I was some more cool with a Winchester style BB gun.
Jim Morrison

Post by Jim Morrison »

No question about it, the Daisy '94 is bad.

But keep in mind it was never mean to be a shooters. Just something to look at. Maybe to pretend at bit that tin can is really a grizzly bear.
X Man

Post by X Man »

Was I so much different at 9 years old, when I tried to make every shot count? I don't think so. Daisy could make all thier guns shoot a whole lot better than they do, at a very small price increase. As I said though, I thought I was cool with a BB gun Winchester look-a-like!
Jim Morrison

Daisy BB Gun

Post by Jim Morrison »

Keep in mind that a BB gun is something at a Grandpa buys his garndkid(s) and the mother locks up. For the most part, accuracy is not a part of it.

But if you want BB gun accracy, start with the model 99, 199 or the 499.

Some people like the Daisy 845 which lays somewhere between the 99's and the 853.

I've read somewhere on this Buletin Board where someone posted that the accuracy of the 853 was the 7 ring.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what this is based on.

Myself with my 853 which is over 20 years old, any more I have a hard time shooting such over a 70/100 standing. My resent highest score standing was a 71/100 last Thursday.

The same day I shoot a 86 prone. My highest sitting was on the 7th when I shot a 87 & 86 for a 173 or 86%