is center hold a viable option?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Gotta say I dissagree with most of Gregs stuff. Sure it's instinctive to aim where you want to shoot - that doesn't mean it's right, especially not for every situation. If you look at the technical aspects - how much of the black can you see centre aiming ? For all bar rapid fire that's only the top half it. If that's all you can see it's very difficult to get a horizontal reference point. If you shoot sub six you can see the sight alignment in relation to the target perfectly.

I also agree with other posters in that shooting is an art. Of course there's plenty of science involved but the act of releasing a shot is more of an art than a science and that's what was being talked about.

Rob.
bubba_zenetti

Post by bubba_zenetti »

Fred wrote:
bubba_zenetti wrote: if i set my sight picture to be the front sight covering the entire bull with the bull sitting between my rear sight blades, things worked out ok. i am going to try experimenting with this more and see what happens.
If I'm wrong, I apologize, but this sounds like you are looking for a precise sight picture. Unclear on the concept - it's AREA aim, not precision aim. Listen to Steve and Ed and others. I shoot center hold, and I try to choose a front sight or rear gap that are NOT the same apparent width as the bull, so that I won't be tempted to try to line them all up precisely. Everyone is different, but as you are apparently beginning, I wanted to offer this thought.

HTH,
FredB
hmmm.........perhaps i am looking for a precise sight picture. i tried the center hold concept again and i find with a thinner front sight blade, i tend to lose the front sight in the black fuzzines of the bull. if i choose a front sight that appears to be the same size as the bull, i just plant the front sight over the bull with the sights aligned and it seems to work better for me. i have yet to find any clear, detailed information on area aiming. can you point me in the right direction?
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

bubba_zenetti wrote: i have yet to find any clear, detailed information on area aiming. can you point me in the right direction?
Yur'yev's Competitive Shooting is one of the most complete, detailed books available. But his discussion of area aiming is not as detailed, nor as informative, as the many discussions of this topic on TT and in this website's Pistol Coaching Index. This is the cutting edge. It's up to you as to how to apply these ideas to your own shooting.

This Sep will mark my 51st year in pistol shooting. It is a wonderful sport!

Fred

P.S. If you haven't already done so, you might have a look at the Pistol Training section of the TargetShooting Canada website