Youth pistol

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

JamesN

Youth pistol

Post by JamesN »

I talked to the pistol coach. and wanted to try 10m pistol.
So I got started and found it fun, quite different from 3p rifle.

I read some of the older posts and youth pistol dosn't seem quite as popular. I'm particularly interested in competing. (time i spend in competition goes towards the 50 hours i need of "action" activities i need to graduate)

So would it be more wise to stick to rifle since there are more competitions locally then pistol?

I dont have much time once school gets started for practice. I can practice rifle at home, but I dont have the proper pistol to practice pistol.

The club is far away 20-30 miles. yet it's near my school. But practice starts at 6. So somehow I have to work 3-4 hours of homework with an hour of practice somewhere into my schedule.
If only practice started at 4...
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

HI

You don't mention your age, BUT you can probably get a Tau-7, either a Junior, or a larger sized one. They're under $500.00 and are accurate. Build a box, larger than the targets you're using and fill it with putty. Putty is expensive, but you're only building ONE target. You're set.

There probably aren't many AIR PISTOL events near your house, and you may want to continue Air Rifle, BUT there are almost certainly more Pistol events locally than there are Rifle. You may want to consider a .22LR target pistol if there is a range close by as opposed to buying the Tau. IN addition, the only equipment you have is a pistol and ammo, no coat, no matt, no kneeling roll.

Mike
JamesN

Post by JamesN »

I'm 16. The coach was going to let us shoot .22 pistol next time (tomorrow!)

Hm, maybe I can do both pistol and rifle. or focus on pistol and compete with .22lr

Around what price does a competetive .22LR pistol start?

MAybe I can practice with an airpistol at home, shoot a .22LR at the club, and compete .22LR?

Maybe my dad will sell one of his guns for a .22 pistol. I wonder how much the makarov is worth.
matt_gb

Post by matt_gb »

hi james
if you want to shoot competitively at a high standard you really want to focus on one event because you can be good at many disciplines however if you want to win gold medals you have to put everything into one discipline. pistol is an all together cheaper discipline and match .22 pistols start from around £800 but you could probably pick up a second hand one in good condition for around £400
hope that helps a bit
randy8745

Air Pistol

Post by randy8745 »

What I like about air pistol it relatively less expensive gear wise to shot then rifle. I shot both rifle and pistol in both air and smallbore. The pistol can compliment your rifle shooting. For me I have to focus much harder with a pistol then I do with a rifle. If you have space in a basement or garage you can setup an air pistol range and it doesn't necessarily have to be exactly 10 meters.

You can get air pistols in a number of different price ranges. Pardini's (K2s) can be had for around $950 or less and the price can go up from there.

Air Arms will be introducing a new compressed air pistol out early next year that will be around $350 (which is what they quoted me at the coaches conference). They converted one of there CO2 pistols into a compressed air model. The draw back is that the pistol has only enough air for 80 shots other then that I kind of liked the pistol. If they can hold the price, I will be buying some for some of the juniors in our area. The pistol is certainly light enough for young kids to hold even one handed.

As far as shooting smallbore pistol you can start out with something as simple and cheap as a Browing Buckmark for sport pistol. If you want to participate in the Olympic type of smallbore you can try free pistol. Free pistol and air pistol training can be done concurrently.

Good luck on whatever you choose.