Redness/rash from using sling?

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

James-

Redness/rash from using sling?

Post by James- »

Is this normal...or am i doing something wrong? I'm wearing a sweatshirt too.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

James ... great to hear that you seem to be shooting pretty regular now!

Where is the rash? On Biceps/Triceps area or under forearm?

Are you using a fabric softner? If so stop on that item. I'm slightly allergic to the stuff. If I use it for my underwear I get rashes all over !! ;-o
Jay V

Re: Redness/rash from using sling?

Post by Jay V »

James- wrote:Is this normal...or am i doing something wrong? I'm wearing a sweatshirt too.
No. You shouldn't have anything like that from the sling.

You should be wearing a T-shirt and 2 sweatshirts when training and competing. On the arm of the sweatshirt, near the shoulder just below the seam, sew a large button. The button keeps the sling from slipping down your arm. Get into position with the sling up in the right position and have your coach mark the spot for the button with a permanent marker. Your shooting sweatshirts need to be smaller and more snug-fitting than your regular ones or the sling (even with a button) will pull it way down your arm. Big sweatshirts bunch-up inconsistently under the buttplate also.

The web slings can be set up 2 ways. One way it tightens like a slip-knot, the other it stays where you put it. The second way is better. If it is set up like a slip-knot, just pull on the top part of the sling where it goes through the buckle (by your arm) to make a new opening for your arm to go through. If you experiment with it you will see what I mean. With it set like that you can snug it up but not squeeze your arm when you are in position. The first way cuts off your circulation and gives you a big "thump, thump" from your pulse.

The black nylon Daisy slings are junk, hopefully you are using the cotton 1 1/4" G.I.-type web sling (usually Olive Drab color). If not, let me know and I'll give you more info. You may need to buy some of your own equipment if the club doesn't have what you need - having the right equipment is worth it.

Also make sure the sling's buckle is on the outside of your arm and the adjustment clamp is in the open between your wrist and your arm - not touching either. A good glove like the fingerless junior ones from Monard (www.monardusa.com) help make the positions more comfortable too.

Jay V
J

Post by J »

Yeah, practice is twice a week. We started a bit differently. We start prone with sandbags, then go to sling, etc. I shoot better with sling then with sandbags...feels more natural. Though i've had a flier or two because I'm getting used to it. I have to come earlier, someone took my rifle, and the other one i got has lota creep.

The slings are an army/olive green. The sweatshirt was provided...its tight. The loop is fixed. I'll get a safteypin (provided) to keep it on,,,i noticed it slipped a bit.

The redness is where it contacts the biceps/triceps and a bit on the the underforearm where the sling touches it.

Maybe its too tight?
Jay V

Post by Jay V »

J wrote:(SNIP)The slings are an army/olive green. The sweatshirt was provided...its tight. The loop is fixed. I'll get a safteypin (provided) to keep it on,,,i noticed it slipped a bit.

The redness is where it contacts the biceps/triceps and a bit on the the underforearm where the sling touches it.

Maybe its too tight?
Sounds like you have what you need.

I would bring another snug sweatshirt to wear under the one they provide. A pin does work, but most like the button better. The sling doesn't need to be real tight if you keep in in place with a pin or button. You should be able to slip your finger between the buckle and your biceps.

Jay V
James

Post by James »

Its gone away/not happening again
Now that my rws 94 is broken/about to be returned, time to look for a new gun.
Albert

tightness of sling

Post by Albert »

"The sling doesn't need to be real tight if you keep in in place with a pin or button. You should be able to slip your finger between the buckle and your biceps. - Jay V"

Jay, my experience as a 3P smallbore shooter is that the sling is tight enough - not creating a pulse in the arm - when you can put 3 fingers (positioned against eachother in a triangle) between the biceps and the loop of the sling in shooting position (and full pressure on sling)

Albert - The Netherlands