how should I start out with 10meter olympic style shooting?

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

James

Post by James »

I'm in florida. And in the city, So i wasn't so sure about the animal stuff.
So the activities are area specific.

Well I guess i'll sign up and find out.

Thanks for the help.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Check out not only the county you live in, but the programs of nearby countys. You do not have to be in a club in only the one you live in. I have several shooters in clubs that do not live in my county.

Find out who the project leader is and give them a call.

The week ofter next is the 4-H Shooting Sports Nationals (June28-July1), so the person you really want to talk to may be pretty busy this & next week. See if you can get with them after the 4th.

Look at your state contacts: http://www.4-hshootingsports.org/state_contacts.html ... call them and tell them what you are desiring, and see if they can't point you in the right direction of who to talk to.
Jay V

Re: This is a great topic

Post by Jay V »

jhmartin wrote:This is a super thread ... Jay V is one of my mentors, and you cannot go wrong heeding his advice ... I was originally looking at the Avanti x53 style guns to save a bit of money, but I now am absolutely sold on the 888s. Our 4-H county is now shooting 11 of them. We use no other gun

I had lunch with another of my mentors yesterday, who is on the Air Rifle council and I asked him about the Tau-200. Basically, it does not have an ambidexterious stock, and it's never been formally submitted to the council. Same with the Chinese guns (TF79).(SNIP)
Thanks for the compliments Joel, you have done a super job building your program. Great list of additional items too (with part numbers and prices!).

About the TAU 200 - I did formally submit it to the CMP (Gary Anderson) about 3 years ago. The junior model does have an ambidextrous stock (some early models had a plastic stock also). Basically it was not accepted because it was over the 7.5 pound limit. It has a much better trigger design (but so does a 888 in my opinion) and a better dry-fire mechanism that the Valiant (888s don't dry-fire). Stock design is better than any of the other approved guns as well (the Crosman stock LOOKS good, but I haven't tried one because the rest of the gun is not up to par). It was rumored that TAU might make some changes to make it legal, but that was a while ago so I don't think it will happen.

One of the major drawbacks of the TAU-200 design is the fixed CO2 cylinder. I like the removable cylinder like the 888 has a lot better. That way you can chill it and check for a full fill. Getting a really good fill into a TAU-200 can be difficult.

Jay V
James

Post by James »

According to some websites the tau junior is 7lbs exactly or 3.2kg.

I'm interested in the tau because it can use powerlets...dont have to buy a big tank and i can get it used for the same or cheaper then an 888.
jhmartin

Get the 888

Post by jhmartin »

James ... I'm sure I can speak for Jay V here. We both feel that the 888 is the way to go to get started. Absolute worse case, any paintball shop can fill the cylinder, it uses the standard CO2 threads. (Fill to 475 grams total weight)

I purchased a TF79 for $150 6 months ago while I was waiting fo my 888's, and we never use it anymore ... the 888's are just so much better. It's not as "slick" looking at the Tau, but the barrel is the best you can buy, and if you are looking to compete you need the consistency that the Lothar Walther barrel on the 888 will give you.

These are the ONLY guns my program shoots