Anschutz Junior Air Pistol

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Douglas

Anschutz Junior Air Pistol

Post by Douglas »

Our 10 year old daughter is shooting a Daisy 747 pistol in 4-H and USAS 10meter AP now and has been doing well with 390/400 scores. We are headed to the nationals in Bowling Green in July and are really excited. Now that proud daddy is done bragging, :) My question is:
What are the prevailing opinions of the Anschutz Junior Model Air Pistol?

She has shot them and did very well with it also.
All opinions will be appreciated.
wrc

Post by wrc »

Just wondering, because I'm not familiar with the pistol programs, does she shoot with one hand, or are two allowed? Or is this off a rest? That sounds like an amazing score!
Douglas

Anschutz Pistol

Post by Douglas »

She shoots supported. At her age, that is the only way the rules will allow her to shoot. Apparently in the past, there were issues regarding kids injuring their rotator cuffs, shoulders, etc. holding the pistols up for long periods of time.
9 year olds shoot with the barrels supported.
10-13 shoot with the butt of the pistol only supported.
14-19 shoot either 2 or one handed unsupported.

It's true that the higher scores are easier to obtain from the supported position, but, she has usually ranked first in her competitons, consistantly out scoring others by 15-20 points.
It's really neat because when we are done practicing, she'll go back inside and start playing "barbies!"
She is still just a baby at heart...
wrc

Post by wrc »

Thanks for the interesting information. It looks like a good way to start kids out, and make it fun. With such a good start for your daughter, I hope that she keeps the shooting sports close to her heart as she gets older. We need more people like that!
Jay V

Re: Anschutz Junior Air Pistol

Post by Jay V »

Douglas wrote:Our 10 year old daughter is shooting a Daisy 747 pistol in 4-H and USAS 10meter AP now and has been doing well with 390/400 scores. We are headed to the nationals in Bowling Green in July and are really excited. Now that proud daddy is done bragging, :) My question is:
What are the prevailing opinions of the Anschutz Junior Model Air Pistol?

She has shot them and did very well with it also.
All opinions will be appreciated.
Talk to Pilkington - (931) 924-3400 - about a Steyr LP-2 Jr. It's the same basic gun, with a couple small differences. I think it is less expensive also.

We will have a team with the Steyrs in Bowling Green, so if you would like to look one over and try it if time permits, look us up - AIAC Juniors from IL.

Jay V
Douglas

Anschutz Air Pistol

Post by Douglas »

Thanks Jay!
We are looking forward to seeing you there!
Jay V

Re: Anschutz Air Pistol

Post by Jay V »

Douglas wrote:Thanks Jay!
We are looking forward to seeing you there!
Thanks, but I can't make it this year.

Our Head Pistol Coach, Don, and Head Rifle Coach, Peter, will both be there for the pistol competition.

Best of luck.

Jay V
kelly

Post by kelly »

It varies State to State. In Alaska 8 to 11 year olds shoot 2 handed standing at 10 meters. Current State record for this age group is 147/200 shot by a 10 year old. 12 to 15 yr olds shoot 0ne handed for 30 shots and Seniors shoot one handed for 40 rounds.

On average we have been experiencing somewhere in the 30 to 80/200 for the 8yr. olds, 50-100/200 for the 9 yr. olds. Holding too long is a coaching issue we have found. Most do much better shooting a shot in 5 seconds or less than they ever do holding longer.

Any format that gets em shooting is fine. There are lots of divergent opinions on what is "appropriate" at what age. There are so many variables that no one answer works for all.
wrc wrote:Just wondering, because I'm not familiar with the pistol programs, does she shoot with one hand, or are two allowed? Or is this off a rest? That sounds like an amazing score!