Airgun cleaning?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

_Alex_

Airgun cleaning?

Post by _Alex_ »

How do u prefer to clean your airguns bore?
jrmcdaniel

Almost never!

Post by jrmcdaniel »

Less is More! I shoot many thousands of pellets per year and maybe clean once a year or so. I use lubricated pellets (Tumble a couple of drops of One Lube or Krytech for a tin of 500 pellets) and that seems to reduce any lead build-up to next to nothing. Some gun builders suggest only cleaning when accuracy starts to deteriorate.

Whatever you do, do not use hard rods, cleaning compounds, etc. Airgun barrels are made of softer metals and are easily damaged by cleaning rods. I use a pull-through cleaner (basically weed whacker cord). The seals on guns can be destroyed by the chemicals used in powder guns.

Some guns seem to need several pellets through them after cleaning before accuracy returns (another reason not to clean).

If you shoot a piston gun (not common in target shooting any more), then Dieseling can make the barrel dirtier a bit faster. I am told that this does not affect accuracy significantly, though, unless your gun is sounding like a .22.

Best,

Joe
WSmith

Post by WSmith »

Alex: A very simple method for cleaning an airgun's bore is the felt pellets
from VFG. They're sold either as a kit with dry and oiled pellets, or as bulk dry pellets. It's recommended to stack the pellets - two for pistol, three for rifle - leading off with an oiled felt. (If you buy the bulk dry pellets, just add a drop of oil to the lead pellet. Be sure to use an airgun recommended oil.) The felts are simply shot through the bore, mildly removing fouling as they travel down the rifling.

NOTE: I adhere to the general view of the minimal cleaning of a competitive airgun's barrel. Whatever method used, KEEP THE CLEANINGS FEW AND FAR BETWEEN.

VFG also makes felts in most competitive firearm calibers that are utilized with a cleaning rod an a specially designed jag.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

It's worth pointing out the felt pellets can lead to problems down the line if you are not careful when loading them. The fibres can get into the air port and lead to problems. I don't know if that was mentioned here or elsewhere but essentially use with care.

Rob.
_Alex_

Post by _Alex_ »

Ive read about a compound for polishing airgun bores made by "lupus", it was used with VFG products. A read a story about it in Airgun World. Anyone heard of this?
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

A simple pull trough ffrom weed trimmer cord (or lod rackets strings if you know someone who does restringing) and a patch lubricated with TSI 301 works fine.

Our best shooters notice acuracy drop off after 300 to 500 rounds, then clean. For our other juniors we just make it a habi t to pull a couple patches through every time they open a new tin of pellets.

Goig on nine years with club equipment, and no problems with declining accuracy using this method, and a can of TSI lasts several years.
bluechucky

Post by bluechucky »

RobStubbs wrote:It's worth pointing out the felt pellets can lead to problems down the line if you are not careful when loading them. The fibres can get into the air port and lead to problems. I don't know if that was mentioned here or elsewhere but essentially use with care.

Rob.
Could you please elaborate on the "not careful when loading them". Not sure what you mean by that.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Essentially don't get any fibres trapped that may then get pulled off. It's the loose fibres that can do the damage. I would also be inclined to have a look at the loading port before shooting again and remove any fibres you see.

Rob.
TWP

Post by TWP »

I clean my daughters air rifle with an Otis pull through cleaning kit about once a year. I'm not sure that even that is nescessary. We have a machine rest at our club for testing rifles/pellets. Using the machine rest and shooting quality pellets (Vogle or R10's) I haven't noticed any degredation in accuracy after several thousand rounds.
chris3p

Post by chris3p »

An air rifle should be treated as if it were a smallbore rifle. It leds up just as much and as fast. Same with smallbore our team found we had a better grouping when the rifle was clean because the pellet bit into to the rifleing which will produce a more accurate shot.

The best way to clean an air rifle is with a simple pull through, .177 cal brass rod, .177 cal brass brush, .177 cal patches, TSI 301, and tape.

1. put tape over the hole which the air comes out of in the action so no lubricants can get in.

2. take your pull through and push it through action first whith a damp patch of the TSI 301 once.

3. with brass rod and brush push through muzzle first, 15-25 strokes.

4. take your pull again with dry patches and push it through action first as many times until clean or when you get really light pencil like marks
chris3p

Post by chris3p »

An air rifle should be treated as if it were a smallbore rifle. It leds up just as much and as fast. Same with smallbore our team found we had a better grouping when the rifle was clean because the pellet bit into to the rifleing which will produce a more accurate shot.

The best way to clean an air rifle is with a simple pull through, .177 cal brass rod, .177 cal brass brush, .177 cal patches, TSI 301, and tape.

1. put tape over the hole which the air comes out of in the action so no lubricants can get in.

2. take your pull through and push it through action first whith a damp patch of the TSI 301 once.

3. with brass rod and brush push through muzzle first, 15-25 strokes.

4. take your pull again with dry patches and push it through action first as many times until clean or when you get really light pencil like marks
Walter

Post by Walter »

chris3p wrote: 3. with brass rod and brush push through muzzle first, 15-25 strokes.
Why don't you just use a steel brush and fix it but good.
Helen

Cleaning Air Guns

Post by Helen »

Are Don Nygord's articles still available anywhere? He wrote an exceptional one on just this subject. With Don's sense of humour & what's right & wrong, it begins "People, people, people, how many times do I have to tell you....."
Check it out.
Helen
_Alex_

Re: Cleaning Air Guns

Post by _Alex_ »

Helen wrote:Are Don Nygord's articles still available anywhere? He wrote an exceptional one on just this subject. With Don's sense of humour & what's right & wrong, it begins "People, people, people, how many times do I have to tell you....."
Check it out.
Helen
Thanks I'll read it after breakfast!

http://www.nygord-precision.com/cleaning.html

Post by Guest »

Walter wrote: Why don't you just use a steel brush and fix it but good.
With a steell brush you will wear down the barrel because its steel on steel. you use a brass brush because you will never scratch steel since it is softer.
Lanning R. Hochhauser

Nygord's Notes

Post by Lanning R. Hochhauser »

As usual a voice of reason.
_Alex_

Post by _Alex_ »

I would never use a brush in the bore of any airgun!
Walter

Post by Walter »

you use a brass brush because you will never scratch steel since it is softer.
Never?

To "fix something but good" is a colloquial american slang facetiously describing an act of malevolence upon a person or object.

Brushing the bore is bad advice.
mark anderson

Airgun cleaning

Post by mark anderson »

See below from Don Nygords cleaning notes

Air Guns: If there is any gun that can be semi-neglected it is the air pistol. (Top air rifle shooters are as anal as anything described above, but pistol shooters can take it a bit easier.) I have seen air pistols with several thousand rounds through them without cleaning pull out an almost white patch the first pass. On the other hand, one of the top lady US Champions of a few years ago had a Walther CP2 that had to be cleaned every 200 rounds if it was to group at all. But her air gun was the exception. Their low velocity, excellent finish on the barrels and the lack of powder residues make air pistols almost carefree. For these, I recommend a nylon pull-through loop (doubled and crimped .040" trimmer cord) and a .22 cloth patch (1 1/4" diameter) and a spritz of TSI-301 about every couple of cans of pellets. Feed the loop down the bore from the muzzle, fold the patch in half, put into the loop, spritz and pull through. A couple will probably be enough. Then, take a Q-tip and wipe all around the pellet loading area (small bits of lead are common). Use a toothbrush to brush away lint, dust, etc. from all crevices, sights, and crannies. Lightly oil any moving parts like the pellet plunger and cocking lever pivots, wipe down the barrel and other steel external surfaces with "Breakfree" or equivalent (rust spots on an airgun barrel from acids in perspiration make me want to get out the horse-whip!) and you are done. Some think you need to put silicone grease on the seals and it isn't a bad idea to put it on the cylinder/gun fitting seal (and filling adaptor seal) during your regular maintenance sessions, but the other seals need it very infrequently (and sparingly!)
_Alex_

Re: Airgun cleaning

Post by _Alex_ »

mark anderson wrote:See below from Don Nygords cleaning notes

Air Guns: If there is any gun that can be semi-neglected it is the air pistol. (Top air rifle shooters are as anal as anything described above, but pistol shooters can take it a bit easier.) I have seen air pistols with several thousand rounds through them without cleaning pull out an almost white patch the first pass. On the other hand, one of the top lady US Champions of a few years ago had a Walther CP2 that had to be cleaned every 200 rounds if it was to group at all. But her air gun was the exception. Their low velocity, excellent finish on the barrels and the lack of powder residues make air pistols almost carefree.
But what about a 10 meter air rifle, or even a more powerful Feild Target air rifle? How should we clean them?