What rifle is this?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Jose Rossy

What rifle is this?

Post by Jose Rossy »

I just bought this rifle. It only says Anschutz Modell Match 54. What exactly is it? 1807, 1813, 14XX?

Thanks
metallyrob

Post by metallyrob »

It's an older 1910.

Greetings

Robert
ksilver

Post by ksilver »

It wouldn't be a 1910 probably a 1410 or 1810.
Ken

Post by Guest »

It's a 1611. When Anschutz updated the bolt and trigger in about '74 they did not change the model number. To differentiate the uprated rifles from older 14xx (match 54s) they are unofficially known as the 16xx.

It's basically the prone model that has had 2" removed from the butt, and the butt carrier mechanism from a 1413-1813 free rifle installed, along with the palm shelf on the grip.

An 1810 has a thumbhole butt and a sloping fore-end; sort of a hybrid between a free rifle and a standard.

Tim S

Exeter UK

Post by Guest »

Sorry ignore the first bit on my last post.

D'oh just had a closer look at the photos.

It's not a 1611, but a 1411, the bolt handle confused me. It looks like a normal; match 54 with the wing safety that's been given a newer bolt handle. Should have seen the old two-stage trigger.

Mea culpa!

Tim S
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

Thanks to all. So, it's a 1411 prone rifle with a 1413 free rifle's buttplate.

I don't mind that the stock has been shortened, it happens to fit me very well with little adjustment.

The trigger blade broke during shipping, so I have one on the way from Neal Johnson Gunsmithing.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

You should be able to find the year that the rifle was made (last two digits) on the left side of the barrel just forward of the action (assuming that the rifle has not been rebarreled or has had the barrel set back).
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

Thanks Paul, I will look at it tonight.
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

PaulB wrote:You should be able to find the year that the rifle was made (last two digits) on the left side of the barrel just forward of the action (assuming that the rifle has not been rebarreled or has had the barrel set back).
Barrel is apparently the original. There is a 73 next to a German proof mark on it, so that makes the rifle 35 years old. Dayum, that's almost as old as I am!

Regardless, after a good cleaning and familiarizing myself with the stock adjustments, I got prone in the basement with a 15 bull 10M air rifle target. If I got my NPA right, the bullet went right in the center of the bull. I can't wait for some nice weather to wring it out at 50 and 100 yards.

Comparing the Anschutz stock adjustments to those on my Alex Sitman-stocked Model 70, I find I like the American HP style adjustmets better. The spring loaded Anschutz comb simply sucks. The screw adjustable design of the Sitman stock is superior. The Anschutz buttplate does not need wrenches for adjustment, but there is no cast or cant adjustment on it.

I'll most likely end up restocking it with an Alex Sitman Smallbore Prone stock.
saintsteven

Post by saintsteven »

I shot a Savage Anschutz 1810 (I think) in college for the University Of Iowa, and lately I've been looking for a photo of one without much success.

Can anybody help?

Thanks.