Range Layout

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

GA Guest

Range Layout

Post by GA Guest »

Question;

I have an 18,800 sq. ft building. It's aprox 90' x 235'

We currently have 52 10meter Air Rifle / Pistol points. We want to add Smallbore to our program. Here's the question. We could go with 10, 12, 14, or (10 x 2 bays = 20 total) combination Smallbore / air target points. We will also have 8 50meter points but lose the use of lanes 13 and up when we would shoot 50meter / 50 yrds. How many Smallbore points would you go with, realizing that they are still dual use, but I'm worried that folks will not be as happy with the combo range as with the straight Air points, as well as the ventilation costs...

Please email your thoughts as well as posting them here.

Thanks,

Roy McClain
EODTNT1@aol.com
(678) 772-8185 cell

Post by Guest »

Oyy veyyy! I should have such a problem! :^)
PaulB

Range Layout

Post by PaulB »

I assume that you are familiar with the air gun / 50 meter indoor range at Ft Benning (with you being from Georgia). It is about the best layout that I have seen. I am not sure if there are closable windows on the air gun points or not, but if there were one could shoot both 50m on one side and air gun on the other side of the range (if the ventilation system was designed to ventilate each 50m range independently). Also, closing the windows would keep the air gun area from becoming contaminated with lead and powder residue from the .22 firing. This set-up is certainly better than Colorado Springs. No sure about the set-up at the facility in Minnesota, but it is the most recently built 50m indoor range; might want to check it out (http://www.mssec.org)
gvmnt45

Range Layout

Post by gvmnt45 »

OK..

I am sick, jealous, amazed, and curious.

52 points for Air rifle and pistol?

Who are you, why do you have such a wonderful problem?

Do you fill all the spots on a regular basis?

How did you get to this point? How did the funding come about and how do you keep interest in order to fill the range?

My head is spinning just thinking about 52 points. These are permanent points, too I assume.....

Ok... to your question, if I can remember it after the shock wears off....

If you can go dual use, heck yea, go for it. The only considerations would be how full your range gets (in my opinion) If you are encroaching on the Air shooters that consider this their range you may have some fall out. But if you can shoe horn in a few small bore lanes at the expense of empty lanes, do it.

SB will be a great addition to your range as it is the next logical step for Air shooters.

Air handling systems and clean up will be a big cost. You may want to, if you can, separate the air guns and the small bore in some way just to cut down on the cost of the air handlers. You may be able to get away with larger than normal air handlers above the lines were you will have the small bore, but you will most likely need to direct the air flow.

Consult some pros on this one, as this will become a sticking point with the EPA and a host of other Gov. agencies

Just my 2 cents worth.

Please send me a picture so my range can aspire to grow up big and strong some time.

Gvmnt45@sbcglobal.net

Peter Dorn
Ernie Rodriguez

Shooting Range

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

Where is this wonderful range located?Glad to see you will have some 50yd/50 meter available,there aren't many around the Atl area. Ernie.