Avanti XS40 Price Increase May Disqualify From Sporter Class

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

randy8745

Avanti XS40 Price Increase May Disqualify From Sporter Class

Post by randy8745 »

I have heard that XS40 prices will be increased beyond the sporter rifle class price ceiling. If this is true then any of these new guns would not be able to be used in any future sporter rifle competitions. This does not afftect the rifles that were bought presently or in the past. Does anybody else have knowlege of this?
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Since our program uses all 888's I'm going to ask maybe some silly questions ...

There is no serial number on the 888's.
Is there on an XS40?
How could you tell?
What is the price ceiling?

I have noticed that in the past few months the 888's have gone up a few dollars ($4)
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

Can't check since the rulebook is in the car, but aren't the guns allowed directly by name for CMP? What about NRA etc? The whole list of rules for the Boys Scouts was screwed up because they used 1998 prices for the Venturing shooting sports stuff.

If we're still using price, we need to get past that.

Mike
Wichita KS
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

CMP rules name the guns and have no price associated with a sporter.

I'm 4-H and they use CMP rules as the governing body.

So we're safe.

Joel M
randy8745

XS40 Rifle Disqualification

Post by randy8745 »

Had a conversation with USA Shooting and apparantly their is a committee that defines which rifles are sporter rifles and one of the committee rules is that a sporter rifle cannot exceed $500. Apparently, Air Arms is increasing the cost of the XS40s past $500 and once that happens Daisy will no longer put their name on the rifle, which will disqualify them as a sporter rifle at USA Shooting and I think CMP matches. This won't affect existing XS40 rifles and the few hundred XS40s that are currently in Daisy's inventory. I understand that the NRA will still accept the rifles exceeding the $500 mark as sporter rifles.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

I have a contact on the Air rifle council and here is his short comment to me:

"JOEL:
I don't know of any price ceiling for Sporter but in unofficial discussions with Gary Anderson, et al, we have considered freezing the XS 40 use to those made to date and barring any new productions for this and other reasons. I still think the 888 is the better rifle for bigger kids especially."

I'm going over to his place at lunch today ... I'll see if I can find out the "other reasons"

Joel