Problems with Anschutz 1451's

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

PaulB

Problems with Anschutz 1451's

Post by PaulB »

Several years ago my club purchased four Anschutz 1451's for use by our junior club. We have had the following problems: (1) they all seem not to be very accurate, even at 50', with ammo that produces good results in other guns, (2) one gun was found to have a very loose head space, in the range of .046-.048, (3) one gun had the supposed free floating barrel in hard contact with the barrel channel of the stock, (4) some of the "groups" fired at 50" from the bench were up to 2" in size, i.e. you could not keep the shots in the black on the A-17 target, (5) at least one gun would have major changes with different ammunition; I got a gun nominally sighted in with Winchester T-22 with all five shots in the black but about a nickel size group and then changed to Eley Tenex and got a good group with all shots touching but it was about 2" below the previous zero. I would not expect the velocity difference of these two ammo's to produce such a large change.

I would expect that these guns should be able to shoot at least groups with all shots touching at 50" with practice ammo and should be able to shoot 100's on the A-17 with match ammo. Is this too much to expect?

Anyone else had similar problems?
Anyone have suggestions on how to fix these problems?
X Man

Post by X Man »

Your results are not the norm, for this rifle. My son's 1907 shoots better groups with Wolf Match Target, than it does with Eley Tenex. You need to put the rifles in a vice, so that there is no way thayt the gun moves. No human error plays a factor then. You can use a large vice, with 4"X6" 1/4" plywood against the jaws, then place heavy urethane carpet foam backing or heavy neopreme, rubber etc. between the rifle and plywood. This combination will render the rifle motionless. Shoot 10-5 shot groups, just put a new piece of test paper up every 5 shots. You should find one brand of ammo that will shoot one hole.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

1907 is quite different from the 1451. My 1407's, 1807's and and one 1907 all shoot quite well with just about any ammo.
diopter

Post by diopter »

Have you double checked the action screws to see if they are too loose or too tight?