Youth Pistol why no "Sporter" division?

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Youth Pistol why no "Sporter" division?

Post by Guest »

From my observation I would say that youth rifle programs are about 100x more popular in terms of participation than is youth pistol. The bulk of participants in youth rifle are in the Sporter division. Is the fact that there is not a Sporter Pistol division part of the low numbers in pistol?

Post by Guest »

given the fact that USA Shooting has sold nearly 200 of the "sporter" Tau jrs, I wonder what you are trying to say

Post by Guest »

As far as I can tell they will still have to go head to head with the PCP's and the best in the world.
Anonymous wrote:given the fact that USA Shooting has sold nearly 200 of the "sporter" Tau jrs, I wonder what you are trying to say
JohnK

sport air pistol

Post by JohnK »

Not true...
Read the rules on the USAS website regarding the new Progressive Position Air Pistol.
JLK
kelly

Re: sport air pistol

Post by kelly »

Thanks for the Info John! This is why I love TARGETTALK!! The last time I looked at the usashooting site was early January and this Progressive pistol program was posted as of the end of January. I am very glad to see they are starting to look at why so few youth are shooting air pistol which is a very good sport for the youth.

While it appears that there is not a Sporter (Rule 4.1 "The match is a Precision pistol event"...) category

and the top air pistols in the world will make the rules (weight up to 1500 grams, PCP's are allowed etc. ortho grips...) at least it is a start in the right direction. I will write to Martin and see about getting on board the youth pistol train for the 2006 season. We couldn't be ready for the match in 6 months but next year is enough time to plan.

Thanks again for the info, I was unaware this was happening.
JohnK wrote:Not true...
Read the rules on the USAS website regarding the new Progressive Position Air Pistol.
JLK

Post by Guest »

OOPS 3.3 Division B is what I was looking for!! So they did include what I was looking for!! I'll have to see if there is a cut off point at the IZH-46 level or not, but if there is then they got it right!!

My only "excuse" for the prior post is that the rules are 38 pages and I haven't read them all yet. Again I am very happy that USA Shooting is finally addressing the problems in youth ap.
kelly wrote:Thanks for the Info John! This is why I love TARGETTALK!! The last time I looked at the usashooting site was early January and this Progressive pistol program was posted as of the end of January. I am very glad to see they are starting to look at why so few youth are shooting air pistol which is a very good sport for the youth.

While it appears that there is not a Sporter (Rule 4.1 "The match is a Precision pistol event"...) category

and the top air pistols in the world will make the rules (weight up to 1500 grams, PCP's are allowed etc. ortho grips...) at least it is a start in the right direction. I will write to Martin and see about getting on board the youth pistol train for the 2006 season. We couldn't be ready for the match in 6 months but next year is enough time to plan.

Thanks again for the info, I was unaware this was happening.
JLK
kelly

Post by kelly »

Hi John

I sent Martin an e-mail so as to get up to speed on this. Our state probably can't get ready in time to participate in 2005 but 2006 should be doable. By then they will have an idea if Division B is going to be a Sporter division or not. This is a very exciting happening in AP !!!
JLK
JohnK

Youth pistol

Post by JohnK »

Kelly,
Great!
There is a lot out there in the sport.
I have been to a USAS air pistol clinic, NRA coaches school, 4H leader training, etc this past year. Despite what is sometimes said on this board they are all on the same page!
One is supportive of the others in their comments.
I believe they exert a tremendous amount of effort trying to better the sport.
My coaches credentials say NRA AND USAS on it signed by an official of each organization.
They can only force feed us to a certain point.
After that it's a matter of each of us getting off our "deriere" (excuse my french) and making it happen.
I know you will do well with the program!
Good luck!
JLK
Kelly

Re: Youth pistol

Post by Kelly »

Sounds like we are traveling the same path John. I am also a 4-H Instructor, NRA TC etc. There are several youth here that are very excited about the idea of being involved in trying an "Olympic" sport. Hopefully this one will stick around long enough to get off the ground. The need for a sporter division (Division B) is very appearent here in Alaska. The precision side of the equation has been around for awile, though without the progressive position ideas. Our club has been holding 60 round AP matches and many members who did not think AP was worth bothering with are slowly being won over to the idea of shooting indoors when it is -25 outside ;~) Too many still think AP means a Red Rider held with one hand. (not a "real" gun) When they see what even the low end Daisy 747 is capable of they have to re-evaluate.
JohnK wrote:Kelly,
Great!
There is a lot out there in the sport.
I have been to a USAS air pistol clinic, NRA coaches school, 4H leader training, etc this past year. Despite what is sometimes said on this board they are all on the same page!
One is supportive of the others in their comments.
I believe they exert a tremendous amount of effort trying to better the sport.
My coaches credentials say NRA AND USAS on it signed by an official of each organization.
They can only force feed us to a certain point.
After that it's a matter of each of us getting off our "deriere" (excuse my french) and making it happen.
I know you will do well with the program!
Good luck!
JLK
Peter Dorn

Youth Pistol

Post by Peter Dorn »

We just got started late last school year with pistol.

We are trying to build a solid pistol portion of our club at this time.

It is difficult when there are no other clubs or teams out there to compete against.

The most we have seen to compete against is 3 others at a comp and one of those was a progressive (bench rest ) shooter.

We are however going to be going to Ky. for Jr Olympics in July with 3 shooters. This should be a great experience for the kids.

The only issue I have is that it is July 3rd, 4th, and 5th. Rotten timing

We also have a sporter rifle team going. That comp is the following week. Makes it a bit hard for a coach that is not retired to go a support the teams we cultivate.
Ted

Post by Ted »

I agree that the July 4,5,6 dates are a bummer. I plan on writing/calling Daisy and asking if this can be changed for next year. I coach a high school air pistol team in Louisville.KY and I slowly got some other schools to join in and now have a league consisting of 5 teams. I am holding our state qualifier on April 16 and the there is one in Indiana Apr.9. Unfortunately the July 4-6 date conflicts greatly with many of the families' vacation plans so whatever teams/individuals qualify for the July Championship in Bowling Green may not be able to go. I would like to know Daisy's thinking on that one.
As far as not having any teams to compete against I can emphasize with that and offer this. Would your team like to have an e-mail match with our team? I can ask the other coaches if they would be interested in this too.
The league I started in our school system has 5 teams and one of the teams is 90 miles away. They can not make the league matches in person so we let them e-mail the league scores with one stipulation. That being that they must attend the league championship to have their scores validated for the year.