Match Plan - Long Post

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

JPM

Match Plan - Long Post

Post by JPM »

Often we talk of working on a match plan, but what is it? I put together this starter match plan for my juniors. It may not be perfect, but it at least makes them think about the topic for a few minutes . . .

Here it is (formatting somewhat screwed-up) - constructive comments welcome - or share yours:

Match Plan A 3 x 20 No Breaks

You will get around 10 minutes of Prep Time. Use this time to set-up your mat, spotting scope or binocs, and pellets. Set-up for Prone. Make sure you can see your target through the spotting scope – especially the sighting shot bulls. Adjust your Sling and get the feel of everything. Get out pellets and arrange them in your tray with several sighting shot pellets.

Dry Firing may be allowed – take a few to get the feel of your trigger and practice breathing. Take a drink of water and wait for the command to start.

PRONE 20 SHOTS – 20 Minutes Time Allowed
- Take a few sighting shots on one of the center bulls. Are you sights adjusted – check and see. Make any adjustments now!
- You have plenty of time – take each bull as its own target. Don't look back or forward! Focus on breathing and trigger control. Shoot the left four bulls first, then the middle two and finish on the right.
- Take a 2-minute break between targets – relax and have a drink of water. Get out your next 10 pellets.
- Shoot the left four bulls first, then the middle two and finish on the right.

STANDING 20 SHOTS – 30 Minute Time Allowed
- Put your sling down and pull your mat back – no standing on you mat!!
- Adjust spotting scope if you want to use it.
- Get out your first 10 pellets.
- Rest in between shots. If you get tired, take a minute to rest your arms.
- Your goal is all shots in the black! Take each bull as a new shot, don't look back or forward.
- After your first target put your rifle down and step back for a full 5 minutes. Rest and take a drink of water.
- Get out your next 10 pellets.
- Relax – your almost done!

KNEELING 20 SHOTS – 20 Minute Time Allowed
- Pull your mat back up and arrange it so your front foot is on the floor in front of the mat, but your kneeling knee is on the front of the mat.
- Put on and adjust your sling.
- Position your kneeling roll.
- Get out 10 pellets and arrange them where you can reach them – take a drink and rest for 1 minute.
- If you get cramped – sit back and take a break – you still have plenty of time.
- Rest for a few minutes in between targets.
- Get out your last 10 pellets and get back into position.

You are done!! Make your gun safe and leave it with the bolt open on the line. Grab you water bottle and move back from the line.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

The list of things to do is pretty good, but the times are all wrong for each portion of a real match. The times are in the blue CMP book, and probably the NRA rulebooks. I'm pretty sure that Prone is 30 minutes for 20 shots, 5 minute changeover, Standing 40 minutes 20 shots, 5 minute Changeover, and 30 minutes for 20 shots kneeling. The Entry prep time is probably 10 minutes, but I would really need to check the books.

Good start though

Mike
JPM

Opps -

Post by JPM »

Yeah - your right. I changed that on one copy and forgot to update the one on my other computer.

Consider that corrected.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Couple points we do differently: start on the center two bulls (as your natural oint of aim is already there from shooting sighters), and focus on the desired outcome (perfect shot or perfect sight picture when shot goes off).
Patrick Haynes

haynes@targetshooting.ca

Post by Patrick Haynes »

You may want to start your match plan earlier, so it starts before the beginning of prep time. Depending on the match itself, you may want to include nutrition the day before, sleep, travel, breakfast and travel to the range.

Additionally, you may want to have contingencies worked out in case equipment malfunctions or goes missing. Perhaps, the air rifle blows a particular seal which renders the rifle inoperable for the remainder of the match. What do you do? Work it out in practice and have it written down as part of your match plan.

The more you have planned out, the better your athletes will respond.

Patrick
Patrick Haynes

haynes@targetshooting.ca

Post by Patrick Haynes »

You may want to start your match plan earlier, so it starts before the beginning of prep time. Depending on the match itself, you may want to include nutrition the day before, sleep, travel, breakfast and travel to the range.

Additionally, you may want to have contingencies worked out in case equipment malfunctions or goes missing. Perhaps, the air rifle blows a particular seal which renders the rifle inoperable for the remainder of the match. What do you do? Work it out in practice and have it written down as part of your match plan.

The more you have planned out, the better your athletes will respond.

Patrick
Albert

Post by Albert »

What I miss is re-aligning the position in each position for the second target.
Are testshots not allowed at the beginning of the standing and kneeling position?

Albert
(The Netherlands)
mikersa

Match Plan - Long Post

Post by mikersa »

Hi Albert,
Maybe you are shooting 3 P Air and if you are we here in South Africa
would love you or anybody else out there to come to our country to compete, accommodation, travel and touring can be arranged at minimal cost to the shooter.
Sorry for just barging in.
Mike
Albert

Post by Albert »

Mike, I use air rifle as a (cheaper) training for small bore (my favourite). Also I train 2 teams of new shooters and assist in training juniors. (I mostly write small booklets on training for my club)
I am always intersted in exchangings thoughts and idea's about training juniors (SB and Air ). This is one of the reasons I visit this site everyday.
Let me know if you are intersted in exchanging know-how.
Good shooting,
Albert (The Netherlands)
PS. How is your SA-Dutch? Or do you speak only English in your part?
Vriendelijke groeten,
Albert
mikersa

Match Plan-Long Post

Post by mikersa »

Middag Albert,
My e-mail adres is autoweld@icon.co.za kontak asseblief.
Met vriendelike groete,
Mike