I need a CO2 tank for a CPM-1

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
spektr

Re: I need a CO2 tank for a CPM-1

Post by spektr »

Thanks for catching typo on the P/N.... Good to hear you got it fixed.......[
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I love your cylinder leak test idea. I've used water in the past to look for bubbles, but I'm always concerned about getting everything dried out afterward. I imagine would detect even a very tiny leak.

Thanks!
tkinva

Post by tkinva »

Gwhite wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:04 pm I love your cylinder leak test idea. I've used water in the past to look for bubbles, but I'm always concerned about getting everything dried out afterward. I imagine would detect even a very tiny leak.

Thanks!
You can use a larger Ziploc bag to test a pistol for leaks.
"It's better to have a catatonk atlatl than a catatonic axolotl."
tkinva

But wait! There's more

Post by tkinva »

This is the top of the CO2 cylinder for the CPM-1. You can see the pin that gets pressed down to open the valve. This pin gets pressed down when the cylinder is filled and when it's on the pistol.

There is an internal adjustment in the valve assembly that sets the height of this pin. (Who woulda thought?) If the pin is too low, the valve won't open, and if the pin is too high, the valve will open before the cylinder is seated properly. I found this out because I screwed the assembly together too tight and the valve didn't open when I put the cylinder on the pistol.

Using a micrometer, I checked the distance from the top edge of the cylinder to the top of the pin. On a new cylinder, the depth was about 18mm. On the cylinder I had repaired, which didn't work properly, it was over 19mm. I disassembled the cylinder and carefully unscrewed the main parts, checking with the micrometer until it was 18mm. After reassembly, things worked fine.

So a word of warning if you're rebuilding a CPM-1 cylinder. When reassembling the valve assembly, use a depth gauge or micrometer to set the correct height of the pin.
"It's better to have a catatonk atlatl than a catatonic axolotl."
spektr

Post by spektr »

Good data thanks.