Walther LGR loading port popping up when fired

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Angler

Walther LGR loading port popping up when fired

Post by Angler »

It doesn't happen every time but enough to be a nuisance. I can't find anything wrong. It will pop up and seals fly out which is quite the inconvenience. Any ideas?
dlb

Post by dlb »

Sounds like you need a new seal for the loading port. Try Pilkington's or Randy Bimrose - barrelbender@sbcglobal.net
Raymac

Post by Raymac »

Loading port seals rarely need replacing on the LGR.....they are adjustable. The two white loading trap seals can be tightened up and the trap can be set so that it does not pop open easily. Here's how you do it.....
1. Loosen the big 5mm barrel clamp screw. this holds the barrel in the action. let the barrel slide foreward slightly.
2. Snap the loading trap closed while the barrel is loose so that it engages pleanty on the catch.
3 With the trap closed press the barrel into the action and tight up against the trap seals.
4. while holding it in, tighten the 5mm screw. check that the front sight is still vertical. the trap should now click into closed position easily and should not pop open.
5. To check for a leak at the trap seals place a sheet of light toilet tissue or similar over the loading trap and fire the rifle.....if the tissue pops up there is a leak.

good luck, Ray.
Angler

new seals

Post by Angler »

I put new seals in the first time it happened. I used the tissue test and it looks like the leak is between the loading port and the air cylinder. The leaver actually jumps up when fired. After closer examination it looks like the seal is not complete.

I can see how to move the barrel to get a tighter seal at that end but how to get a tighter seal at the cylinder end? Or does moving the barrel also moves port block?
Raymac

Post by Raymac »

Moving the barrel back will thghten both seals.
dlb

Post by dlb »

That's good to know - I wasn't aware that this adjustment is possible.
Raymac

Post by Raymac »

Because the trap seals can be tightened they rarely need to be replaced. If you do not already have some, you should pick up a couple of valve seals before they become unavailable. the factory part no. for them is 218 29 04. they should be available from Earl's Repair (http://www.carlwalther.com/). I have printed instructions for changing and adjusting the valve seals if you are interested. The piston seals seem to last forever. The LGR is a great rifle and deserves the best of care.

good luck, Ray.
peepsight

Loading port trap on the LGR

Post by peepsight »

Is the gun you are talking about the Walther LGR side lever pre compressed model? If it is check the loading port trap lever detent. These did wear over time and allowed the trap to pop up on firing. Also check for wear on the face where the detent sits in the closed position.