3P sporter rules questions

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

bobhead

3P sporter rules questions

Post by bobhead »

I emailed the following to competitions@odcmp.com but did not get a reply. Does anyone have an opinion on the following rules question?

I have volunteered to help coach my local high school's JROTC air rifle team. The school has very little equipment (basically, nothing except rifles). Most of my shooter's need to have the stock on their 753/853 extended to achieve a proper fit but we have very few of the factory spacers on hand. The rules allow extending the stock but I am not clear on whether this can only be done with factory spacers or if any other material can be used. In one case, I cut a piece of wood to the same size and shape as the factory spacer. Last night, I came up with a very easy, very inexpensive spacer. As the attached pictures show, I cut lengths of PVC pipe. The pipe is split to allow it to slip over the screw much like the factory spacers have screw slots instead of screw holes. One picture shows two sets of spacers (one set is the length of one factory spacer, the other is the length of two factory spacers). The other picture shows the long spacers installed on a 753. The spacers work perfectly. I'm just wondering if they are legal.
Attachments
Spacers on Stock
Spacers on Stock
Spacers
Spacers
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Your spacers should be legal, but you may find the screws getting bent as kids lean on the buttstock.

I've cut spacers from 1/4" masonite (use factory spacer as template) and you can make easy adjustments for any size shooter. In precision I've even sanded the spacers thinner on one edge to give a semi-custon cast off to the butstock (but that would probably not be OK in Sporter).
isuguncoach

Post by isuguncoach »

What a great idea. You just saved us alot of work. Have been cutting spacers out of wood and working down to proper thickness. Your idea saves a lot of time. Use it until someone calls you on it. Anything to get more juniors comfortable with their shooting position is a good thing.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Your idea follows:
4.2.4 Stock
Sporter air rifle stocks must have a conventional design and be symmetrically shaped so that either a right or left-handed competitor can use it. The length of pull of the stock may be adjusted by the use of spacers or other similar means. The length of pull must not be changed during a competition. (.....more to the rule)
The intent is not to give an unfair advantage, and is reasonable. I think you are good go.

The CMP is hard to get rulings out of .... especially on the website ... If I have a question I email Gary Anderson (dcm@odcmp.com) and ask him .... it may take a week or so for him to get back with you, but he does.