NCAA Navy Rifle?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Yogi

NCAA Navy Rifle?

Post by Yogi »

Rumor has it that the Navel Academy rifle team has been cancelled. Does anyone know if this is correct?
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

At a clinic over this past weekend, we had, one of the captains of the team in helping for a day.

He had said nothing.

It's bad enough that the Army teams are still in standdown. We had an Army JROTC OIC in the clinic .... he had to leave his shooters at home.

(we asked him why he didn't sneak them up ... Career ending move he said)
GA Guest

Varsity Rifle

Post by GA Guest »

jhmartin wrote:At a clinic over this past weekend, we had, one of the captains of the team in helping for a day.

He had said nothing.

It's bad enough that the Army teams are still in standdown. We had an Army JROTC OIC in the clinic .... he had to leave his shooters at home.

(we asked him why he didn't sneak them up ... Career ending move he said)
Now there's an Army JROTC OIC who's not smart enough (or too full of JROTC) to figure out the "Varsity Rifle" part of this equation. I'd bet the don't allow anyone in who's not a cadet. What a shame.

Roy McClain
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Well to be fair, he had just taken over the program.

The other JROTC OIC's chatted with him and suggested he start a school "Rifle Club".

This is no problem in terms of equipment ownership since the largest landowner in his county is Ted Turner and all the rifles/gear have been purchased with "Youth Development" grants Turner provides.

Maybe I'll send some "Ranch for Sale" listings in my county to Mr. Turner!
sparky

Post by sparky »

Strange...in 1992-1996, when I was in Army JROTC, we had a high school air rifle/pistol team. You had to be a JROTC cadet to join. It was at a DoDDS school in Camp Zama, Japan. We shot against teams from all the other military base schools (and kicked butt from 92-96! Four-time Far East Champs! :-) ) We used Daisy 753s and later, FWB 300s and FWB 65s. We shot a co-ed 3-position air rifle course and a co-ed modified air pistol course (50 shots).
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Nope, marksmanship is considered too "non-PC" for today's military.

Well, except for the USMC.

OO-RAH!

Steve Swartz

(retired USAF)
TWP

Re: NCAA Navy Rifle?

Post by TWP »

Yogi wrote:Rumor has it that the Navel Academy rifle team has been cancelled. Does anyone know if this is correct?
No idea, But the Junior Olympic Qualifier for this area is being held there tommorrow. I'll be up there in the morning. I'll ask Coach Kelly if I see him.
Bill

Re: Navy Rifle

Post by Bill »

Not sure about the future, but I can assure you I am look at Navy's shooters and their range (as we speak) and they ALL are working just fine.

Hmmm.
Bill

NAVY's HERE TO STAY

Post by Bill »

End the rumors...
We're here, we're not going anywhere, we're winning- come join us!
Bill Kelley
Head Rifle Coach
US Naval Academy
Annapolis, MD
TWP

Just to clear up any confusion

Post by TWP »

The first post by "Bill" was not Coach Bill Kelly. It was another user who was registering shooters for the Junior Olympic Qualifier match. He happend to be using Coach Kelly's office for registrations.

Coach Kelly heard about the topic, then typed his reply using the other Bill's account.