Rear Sight Position Moved Closer To The Eye In Air Pistol

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

DaveS

Rear Sight Position Moved Closer To The Eye In Air Pistol

Post by DaveS »

Looking over some photographs of matches, I've noticed that some shooters who are using Steyrs appear to have moved their rear sight rearwards more towards the wrist and closer to the eye. Perhaps there are others, but I'm only familliar with, and can recognize the Steyr's range of position. I have also read here that some prefer the Morini short, not only for the lighter weight, but also because the rear sight is also closer to the eye.
I have been favoring the shortest possible sight radius with the widest blade since ever I've crossed the big five-ohh and my sight isn't what it used to be. I'm now curious what advantage bringing the rear sight closer to the eye would afford.
Is there any advantage to doing this?
dfs
mako

Re: Rear Sight Position Moved Closer To The Eye In Air Pisto

Post by mako »

Most shooters would simple have the rear sight moved all the way back on their Steyrs simply to have the longest possible sight radius. They aren't looking at their rear sights, only the front sight ... :-)
Len

Moving sights

Post by Len »

I know of several people that have moved both the rear and front sight back. This obviously does not increase the sight plane distance but seems to help some with the optical difference in having a "wider" rear sight and a "wider" front sight. It's the optical difference of the width of the sight at closer proximity to the eye that seems to help some.
Mack

Re: Moving sights

Post by Mack »

There is a YOUNG member of the US national team than has moved the rear sight all the way back and also moved the front sight all the way back. Young eyes... It works for him.

: I know of several people that have moved both the rear and front sight back. This obviously does not increase the sight plane distance but seems to help some with the optical difference in having a "wider" rear sight and a "wider" front sight. It's the optical difference of the width of the sight at closer proximity to the eye that seems to help some.