Free Pistol Practice On 10 Meter Airgun Range

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Bob LeDoux

Free Pistol Practice On 10 Meter Airgun Range

Post by Bob LeDoux »

The prospect of 10 meter free pistol practice has sparked my interest. Like many airgun shooters, I have a 10 meter range in my garage. I'm very interested in using this range for free pistol practice, without the demand for additional equipment.
An earlier thread discussed the use of Aqulia Super Colibri ammo. At Cheaperthandirt.com, this ammo is available for $12.00 per brick of 500 rounds, the lowest price I've found. But you better hurry; they only have 2500 bricks available :)
This is what Cheaper Than Dirt says about the ammo:
"Ammo .22 SUPER Colibri 500-Rd 20gr No Powder for .22 Handgun $12.00
This ammo is intended for .22 handguns. Aguila .22 Super Colibri is super-quiet ammo that does not contain gunpowder but fires from the force of the primer only. Powerful and silent, great for use in urban areas. This is a 20-grain bullet in a brass case. Will break glass and penetrate hard tin cans. Velocity is 500 fps (11 foot-pounds) at the muzzle and can be lethal. This ammo works great and is intended for .22 handguns only……Do not use in long-barreled guns, as the projectile may become lodged and be dangerous (lethal) if a regular cartridge is shot as a follow up. Will not work the slide in semi-auto handguns…"
End of quote:
The casing is .22 long rifle with a short bullet. So it probably will not engrave into the rifling, reducing accuracy somewhat. I also don't know whether it will fit the tight chambers of some free pistols. I understand the primer contains more material than most cartridges, in lieu of the powder.
The energy, 11 foot-pounds, is well within the capability of good quality airgun pellet traps. I presume it will also work in "putty" filled traps.
So far, I have three concerns:
It is intended for short, handgun barrels. So I would keep careful watch on my target holes. I think I'll buy a piece of round plastic rod, from my hobby shop, so I can probe the barrel. I would probe anytime there is a question whether the bullet exited the barrel, like when two bullets hit the same hole.
Many airgun ranges are inside homes. My two-car range (garage) has plenty of ventilation, with all the doors open. But I wouldn't want to use this ammo indoors, without good air circulation.
Targets are nonexistent. I'm going to make a punch, so I can cut out black circles that I can glue to the back of 10 meter targets. I can't see exhausting my laser printer toner for targets.
So, what do you think?

tj

Re: Free Pistol Practice On 10 Meter Airgun Range

Post by tj »

You should always follow manufacturers recommendations.
But... I fire this stuff out of my bolt action silhouette .22 rifles and it groups decent at 25yds. Never had one stick in the barrel and I wouldnt want to be standing in front of one at 25yds when one is fired from a rifle.
BUT, you should always follow manufacturers recommendations.
: The prospect of 10 meter free pistol practice has sparked my interest. Like many airgun shooters, I have a 10 meter range in my garage. I'm very interested in using this range for free pistol practice, without the demand for additional equipment.
: An earlier thread discussed the use of Aqulia Super Colibri ammo. At Cheaperthandirt.com, this ammo is available for $12.00 per brick of 500 rounds, the lowest price I've found. But you better hurry; they only have 2500 bricks available :)
: This is what Cheaper Than Dirt says about the ammo:
: "Ammo .22 SUPER Colibri 500-Rd 20gr No Powder for .22 Handgun $12.00
: This ammo is intended for .22 handguns. Aguila .22 Super Colibri is super-quiet ammo that does not contain gunpowder but fires from the force of the primer only. Powerful and silent, great for use in urban areas. This is a 20-grain bullet in a brass case. Will break glass and penetrate hard tin cans. Velocity is 500 fps (11 foot-pounds) at the muzzle and can be lethal. This ammo works great and is intended for .22 handguns only……Do not use in long-barreled guns, as the projectile may become lodged and be dangerous (lethal) if a regular cartridge is shot as a follow up. Will not work the slide in semi-auto handguns…"
: End of quote:
: The casing is .22 long rifle with a short bullet. So it probably will not engrave into the rifling, reducing accuracy somewhat. I also don't know whether it will fit the tight chambers of some free pistols. I understand the primer contains more material than most cartridges, in lieu of the powder.
: The energy, 11 foot-pounds, is well within the capability of good quality airgun pellet traps. I presume it will also work in "putty" filled traps.
: So far, I have three concerns:
: It is intended for short, handgun barrels. So I would keep careful watch on my target holes. I think I'll buy a piece of round plastic rod, from my hobby shop, so I can probe the barrel. I would probe anytime there is a question whether the bullet exited the barrel, like when two bullets hit the same hole.
: Many airgun ranges are inside homes. My two-car range (garage) has plenty of ventilation, with all the doors open. But I wouldn't want to use this ammo indoors, without good air circulation.
: Targets are nonexistent. I'm going to make a punch, so I can cut out black circles that I can glue to the back of 10 meter targets. I can't see exhausting my laser printer toner for targets.
: So, what do you think?

shootingsports-at-ev1.net.50105.50095
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Hi,
I've used the Colibri in free pistol with OK results. Some considerations:
- I use the NRA 25 FOOT free pistol target. This is a more precise target than the 10m air target and thus a better option for some drills.
- The accuracy of the Colibri is good but is not match grade.
- Chambering is no problem as the bullet is very short. Most of the tightness in a free pistol chamber comes from the breech block pressing the bullet into the rifling throat. The Colibri does not quite make it that far, probably contributing to the less than best accuracy more than any other factor. CCI CB long may be superior in this respect. Also, I had some old Winchester CB longs from the 80's which were quite accurate.
-Resighting is needed as all the various CB type rimfires print low.
- Nonetheless, the Colibri in a FP is lots of fun!
Enjoy,
Jim

james.buckland-at-converse.edu.50178.50095
Bob LeDoux

Post by Bob LeDoux »

Are you using the tq-9 target for 25 feet?
Thanks
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

: Are you using the tq-9 target for 25 feet?
: Thanks
Hi Bob,
Yes, I'm using the tq 9 target. I find it a challenging target, well suited for match preparation. It would be interesting to know its intended use.
Jim
james.buckland-at-conerse.edu.50186.50182
Bob LeDoux

Aquila Colibri vs Super Colibri

Post by Bob LeDoux »

Aquila put out the "no powder" .22 cartridges in two versions. The Colibri appears to be regular primed .22's. It is very quiet, much more quiet than my air pistol.
The Super Colibri has a stronger primer mix, and is about as noisy as my air pistol. I am more comfortable using it for free pistol practice, as it will clear the muzzle of the barrel in a more reliable manner.
Stan Pace

Post by Stan Pace »

:CCI CB long may be superior in this respect.
I tried some CCI Longs through a TOZ a couple of years ago, and while one result was great, another was awful. Recoil was almost zero. Unfortunately, accuracy was almost as bad.
I was shooting at the 50-foot reduced target, and shots that looked and felt good (9 ring or better) turned out horrible. After a string of shots, the results looked more like a shotgun blast.
Of course, some of those bad shots were me. But, some of them had to be the Longs.